1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoHD outputs no video and requires restart

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by alexsquared, Jun 19, 2013.

1. alexsquared

alexsquared New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    OK everyone. I have looked through the related threads and I believe my problem is different. In the other threads, the users can still get the menus, etc to work. In my instance I get nothing, no video at all, until I restart the unit, which is no fun as the unit takes an absurd amount of time to restart. It has been working just fine for about 3 years, but now suddenly it seems to be blanked out anytime we go to use it. Any thoughts? It is a non-modded unit and our signal is via comcast cable card.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you are using the HDMI output I will bet that may be your problem, try the component output just for fun, many people are reporting a HDMI problem with older TiVo-HDs, it seems that the HDMI handshake from the motherboard gets corrupted somehow. I have an old un-subed TiVo-HD I use (in the past) for testing and part switching that has that problem so I do use the component output now.

3. alexsquared

alexsquared New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Only thing that would push me away from this, is that in speaking with tivo, they indicated that they are also seeing times when the unit doesn't reach out to the TIVO server, which indicates a total freeze/failure, not just lack of video.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Just try the component output, any three RCA cables will do for the test, you will need two more for audio.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When was the last time you opened it up and checked the power supply capacitors?

Is it running the original hard drive?

Do you have an external drive attached?

6. alexsquared

alexsquared New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    two days ago :) I opened it up and didn't see any capacitors that looked faulty, but I know I can't rely solely on visual inspection. Yes, it's the original drive and no I do not have an external drive attached.