1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoHD + Onkyo Reciever CLICK CLICK

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Flyinace2000, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    When the TiVoHD changes channels the digital audio cuts out temporarily until the new channels tunes. THis causes he receiver to kick back to stereo and then to dolby digital. This switching makes the receiver make a mechanical click noise. Is there a setting on the TiVo i am missing so to not interrupt the sound stream.

Thanks

2. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    That doesn't happen with my 605 and S3 over HDMI. I don't have my TiVo HD hooked up to an HTR, so I can't say if it would be any different.

3. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    How do you route audio to your 605? Does the 605 support HDMI in and out?

4. topjazz

topjazz New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    USA
    I wish I could help, but I'm experiencing the same 'click'.

5. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    Yes, the 605 supports HDMI in and out. It's essentially a 2x2 HDMI switch with two inputs and two outputs, one of which is internal to the receiver to play the HDMI audio and the other that you can connect to your television.

6. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© um, yeah.

Mar 6, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I had a similar thing happen when I have the TiVo audio set to Dolby Digital output to PCM instead of just Dolby Digital. I guess PCM does it's own decoding instead of letting the receiver do it. When it's set to just Dolby Digital it works fine.

7. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I tried both, but i like to leave it in Dolby Digital.

8. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I think its a function of the Onkyo Receiver. The reciever is switching between modes while the Tivo is tuning into a new channel. It doesn't bother me, but it annoys the snot out of my parents. I am used to my xbox 360 jet engine so a clicking doesn't phase me.

9. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    Playing around with it some more, I can make my receiver do that if I use certain listening modes and switch back and forth between channels in stereo (either PCM or DD) and channels broadcasting 5.1 surround. The click seems to be caused by the receiver switching between 2 channel stereo and surround sound. Force it into surround mode (perhaps setting it to pro logic) when you're on a stereo channel and it'll go away.

10. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© um, yeah.

Mar 6, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My yamaha receiver does that too. It's like it senses there is no audio for fraction of a second so it changes to something else (or nothing) then all of a sudden it's back. Needs some kind of buffer.

11. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Alright, instead of having the Onkyo set to DIRECT i set it to always be in Dolby Digital. The Tivo is set the same way.

12. drboom

drboom New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    my panasonic receiver does the same thing. That it does it when changing channels isn't so annoying but that it clicks with every 30-sec skip press is fairly annoying. My tivo HD is set to DD (not pcm) and the receiver, while digital, does not do HDMI.

13. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I had this problem on my Onkyo before a Tivo was even hooked up to it.

It's the receiver, sadly.

14. ilh

ilh New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    My 605 doesn't click with DD5.1 drops out (frequently) with the THD. I do get 2-3s of silence when unpausing, skipping forward/backward, but no clicking.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My Pioneer reciever has a display that I can see change between Pro-logic and Dolby Digital during channel changes and sometimes between commercials and show content.
    The only time it "clicks" is when changing between inputs.

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The clicking is caused by the receiver checking the analog input.

On most modern receivers, including many Onkyo and Panasonic models, you can eliminate the clicking by setting the default mode for the receiver's input to digital (or HDMI if using a HDMI receiver) and/or Dolby Digital. On these receiver models, the clicking only occurs if you leave it on the "Auto" setting which forces it to check the analog connection.

17. Bodie

Bodie New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Try updating your receiver, there's several threads about Onkyo firmware updates on the AVS forum. I'll post a link when I get a little more time to go find it.

18. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I ended up make the reciever always be in a 5.1 mode (upsampling 2 channel to 5.1 and when the show is in 5.1 it just does a straight decode. No more clicking. The clicking was from the receiver turning on the rear channels.

19. RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    you need to set up the default for all modes in your setup menu. The easiest way is to hit the 'surround' button on the remote when the receiver makes the 'click' noise. This tells the receiver that you wish to use the same processing mode for this new input type its detecting.

The hardest way is to go into the onkyo setup menu and set a default for everything. My preference is currently to 'Theater HD' for everything, as I don't have the 5.1 fully hooked up, just 3.1 currently. I also use surround mono (same sound from all speakers) for when I am in the tivo menu, so i can hear the key beeps.

Also keep in mind that when the tivo is paused, ff, or rw, there is NO audio sent out, so the receiver will click as its essentially getting no input. No way around that.

20. Shashi

Shashi New Member

May 26, 2008
    Hi Flyinace2000,

I have the same problem after I went up from 5.1 to 7.1 on my 705. I think your solution makes sense and I was thinking on the same lines. Before I try it out, can you please tell me exactly what settings you chose in presetting the listening modes, for each type of input (PCM, Dolby, D.F. 2 Ch, etc.)? Thanks in advance.