1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoHD and S1 Grandfathered Lifetime Transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gbronzer, Jul 25, 2007.

1. gbronzer

gbronzer New Member

May 19, 2006
    Huntersville...
    UPDATE - 7/26/07

I received my TivoHD, and called Tivo about transferring my lifetime service from my eligible S1. They said "No problem", and within five minutes they had transferred the account. I don't know if buying it from Best Buy and not Tivo direct made a difference, but they are definetly honoring the KDB 09-07-04 code now.

---------------------

There's some confusion about the ability to transfer S1 lifetime subscriptions to the new TivoHD. According to official Tivo statements in the past, any lifetime subs from Dec. 99 or earlier can be one time transferred to all future Tivo hardware.

However, users attempting to do this with the new TivoHD are being told it's not possible.

Can we get a definitive answer from a Tivo Rep? I can't believe this would be the case considering the whole thing started from a class action lawsuit.

2. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    I'm surprised. I would suggest that you send an email to TiVoPony: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/private.php?do=newpm&u=22926

He works for TiVo and he's the one who wrote what is quoted above, which in no uncertain terms mentions "future releases" and doesn't make any explicit exceptions (and as far as I know, the TiVo HD has the words "Series 3" on the front of it, which would specifically INCLUDE it). If that is no longer the case, he needs to update that message as to avoid confusion.

Edited to fix link. :)

3. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    The email link for Tivopony isn't working.

Try this link.

4. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    So did anyone find out more about this?

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You Grandfathers are in luck. Tivo changed their policy back to allowing it. New info just this morning. call them back.

6. gbronzer

gbronzer New Member

May 19, 2006
    Huntersville...
  7. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Thanks for the update. I have updated the information regarding this on [post=5351201]the TiVo HD FAQ.[/post]

8. woodway

woodway New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I purchased a lifetime service on a series 1 directivo (cannot remember the exact date, but it was right when the directivos were first offered). Any idea if these can be transferred? I'm thinking about moving off DirecTV to cable.

9. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    You need to wait for a special offer.

10. robmfielding

robmfielding New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    If you activated your Tivo before January 21, 2000 and did not use your one time lifetime transfer you can use it on the Tivo HD for free. I just did it yesterday no problem and my Tivo HD is now showing lifetime. Other lifetime offers have not been announced.

11. woodway

woodway New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks - now I gotta figure out when I activated my Directivo!

12. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    You should call Tivo to confirm... I don't believe DirectTivos w/lifetime are eligible for lifetime transfers unless they changed the rules.

13. robmfielding

robmfielding New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Yeah, he is correct, I misread that you have a DirecTivo. I do not believe they are eligible. My Tivo is the original standalone Series 1. DirectTivo's lifetime subscriptions are tied to the DirecTV account and not the Tivo itself. But you can call to make sure.

14. Laserfan

Laserfan New Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    Wow, that's just wonderful. I just bought an S3 but will either buy another one, or one of the new Tivo HDs to replace my aged S1 Standard Def machine.

Thank you, Tivo... :up:

15. craigslist

craigslist New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I had a grandfathered tivo, activation date december,27, 1999.So i bought my new hd tivo today, called up tivo and the transfered the lifetime no problem,it took like 3 minutes

16. randymac88

randymac88 New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    So I apologize if this is off-topic, but does anyone know if TiVo plans on widening the date range for the grandfather in years to come? My activation date was 12/29/01 for my Lifetime...definitely way off from this offer, but at what point *should* I be eligible to receive a hardware upgrade for my old Sony S1 box?

Seems to me like if that Lifetime transfer was instituted to allow older TiVo users to upgrade their hardware, then it should be a rolling date based on your activation date (5 years? Less? More?). My TiVo is dead now, upgraded to the HD but, due to many many problems, have not been able to get it running yet. Might take it back.

17. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    In the early days, there was much confusion over what "lifetime" meant. So Tivo clarified their marketing materials and contracts to make it clear that "lifetime" meant lifetime of the box, and not the owner. So all people who activated lifetime before that date have a one-time lifetime transfer available to them in case they mis-understood what exactly "lifetime" meant.

18. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    I transfered 2 Directivos w/lifetime to 2 S3s during the transfer period w/o any problem.

19. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I think the no-directivo comment was specifically about the grandfather clause not the s3 offer to transfer for $200. Did you grandfather transfer your DirecTivos for free?

20. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    No. I had to pay the $200. I guess I didn't read the post about being granfathered carefully. Unfortunately, it isn't the first time I didn't read a post carefully--DOH!