1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivodecode replacement that has GUI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by slimjim867, May 12, 2013.

1. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I want to take .Tivo files with me to watch at a location that I do not have a Tivo at. I know that Tivodecode will strip the encryption but i cannot get it to work. I'm not criticizing the program.....I'm just not a command line sort of guy. I really need a GUI to work with. ( I have Tivo Desktop Plus).
    I would like a no cost program but would be willing to pay for one if i must. I have found a couple of programs on a google search but would prefer a recommendation from someone here because i'm worried about downloading nasties from bad people.
    Thank you for your help

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
  3. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Looking for GUI

4. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Try kmttg.

5. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Ah! Sorry.....I thought that kmttg was command line bc i downloaded it yesterday and could not figure out how to install it. I revisited kmttg just now and found a win32 package that i missed before. So, now I have unzipped the package and now have a folder that lists ....

atomicparsley,comskip,curl,ffmpeg,handbrake,mediainfo_cli,mencoder,projectx,tivodecode

i dont see an executable for the whole package.... just executables within each folder. forgive my ignorance but i dont know what to do now.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  7. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    It will do everything you're looking for and so much more...

8. Jun 1, 2013 #8 of 29
    slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Thank you.
    I followed the instructions and installed the program. I converted one .Tivo file to the default .mpg extension.
    The video loads but is of poor quality. Also one second of program takes a minute to play.
    I will be watching the videos on an HDTV. Can someone clue me in as to the proper settings?
    Thank you
    Danny

9. Jun 1, 2013 #9 of 29
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    What are you using to play the .mpg file(s)? Decrypting .TiVo to .mpg has no effect on quality. Try playback with VideoLAN VLC player which doesn't rely on Windows crappy codec system.

"watching the videos on an HDTV" is too vague because you don't mention with what device you will be doing that with.

10. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I am using VLC.
    I only mentioned watching on an HDTV bc I want to stay with a high resolution file when converting.

So, can anyone suggest the settings that I might use in case that is the problem?

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've used this one...

http://gmonweb.com/wordpress/?page_id=17

It's simple and easy to use.

Although keep in mind that Premiere units use a TS file format that is not compatible with tivodecode. A better option might be to install TiVo Desktop and then use DirectShow Dump instead. It exploits a part of TiVo Desktop to do the decrypting so it can decrypt anything TiVo Desktop can. However it hasn't been updated in a while so the files it outputs always have a .mpg extension. You may need to change those to .ts if you're files are from a Premiere.

12. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi Dan,
    Thank you for your response.
    I need some clarification though.

First let me say that my goal is to convert my .Tivo files into something that I can play through my WD Live media streamer onto my TV. Right now I can do so with .avi. I think that .mpg will also play.

So, in reference to your suggestions...
    1. I do have a Premier.....the extensions are.Tivo.....does that mean that i cannot use the app in your link?
    2. I do use Tivo Desktop with a Premier....will DirectShowDump leave me with a file that i can stream? I thought that it was for making TS files for burning DVD.
    Thanks again
    Danny

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The Premiere has the option to use transport stream format. It is not required, except when the source uses H.264 video instead of MPEG-2.

14. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I use kmttg to download and convert to mpg format. Then use videoredo to edit commercials and then meGUI to encode to an MP4 format that plays well on BOTH Tivo and our WDTV boxes.

15. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005

Hi Dan,
    I've downloaded TivoDecoder from the link that you supplied.
    When i try to decode a Tivo file I get the following error...
    >>Error (Exit code= -1073741819<<
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Danny

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That option is set by default. Also the TS format is more reliable when files have minor glitches and it's significantly faster. So turning it off just so you can use tivodecode seems silly.

Your files are likely TS format. When TiVoToGo was first introduced the files that you downloaded where basically just encrypted .mpg files with a special header. They had a .tivo extension. A few years ago they released a software update to the Premiere units which switched them to using a new file format which is basically an encrypted .ts file. But they still have a .tivo extension. TiVo Desktop can tell them apart because there is a flag in the special heard that tells it the type.

If you use DirectShow Dump then you can convert these files. However the files it outputs will have a .mpg extension when they are actually .ts files. You will need to manually change the file extension to .ts. If your WD live doesn't support .ts then you will need to use another program to remux them as real .mpg files.

Not to be a shill, but have you tried VideoReDo? With it you can open either type of .tivo file, edit out the commercials and save directly to a .mpg file. You can even save to a .mp4 or .mkv with H.264 video to same some storage space. Although doing that requires a full recode which is a lot slower then saving to .mpg. We offer a 15 day trial. You should try it out and see if it's of any use to you.

17. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Sorry, I'm confused.
    If i use DSD i will get .mpg files but i need to change the extension to TS?
    If i am trying to get .mpg files, DSD outputs .mpg files.....??

also note.....the resulting files that i get from using kmttg do play on VLC.....just at about a frame in 10 seconds.

18. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Thank you but i don't have the means to purchase VideoReDo.
    I will try it though .....if i still cannot get a file that will play maybe that will give you guys another clue to ascertain my problem.

19. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    The link brought me to "Tivo Decoder GUI"
    using that program gave me >>Error(Exit Code=-1073741819)<<

20. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I've googled DirectShowDump but am not getting any good links. Anybody have one?