1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo2 Dual Tuner work like a T2 Single tuner wtih Cablebox (no clearQuam)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jdmatl, Oct 20, 2012.

1. jdmatl

jdmatl New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Comcast is making channels 2-13 encrypted in my area. I have a TS2 Dual tuner with a STB attached. When comcast went from allowing 2-99 to 2-12 in clearQuam, the DT still wanted to use the 2nd tuner to record stuff on 13 and Higher even though I had told it these channels are "box".

Now with me LOSING channels 2-12 (clearQuam is going away), the 2nd tuner is worthless, or is?

Anyway I can record OTA HD using a 3rd party box and antenna. I have the comcast set top box being controlled via serial port. Good old motorola box.

If the old S2DT can't control two boxes (probably can't due to age) if I set every channel to "box" will that work?

Or is there another way to do this. I have over 50 season passes and don't want to re-enter them. I can see the DT trying to record network TV 2-12 on the box and on the built-in tuner.

Thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, the series 2 DT cannot use antenna. Re-run guided setup to tell it to use the cable box via video inputs and no analog from coax. Then, it will not try to record from the coax.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Will it let you repeat Guided Setup and specify both a cable box and a satellite receiver, at least one of which feeds the TiVo's RF input a channel 3 or 4 signal?

4. jdmatl

jdmatl New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    I have never re-run the guided setup before.

Does this "nuke" my current season passes and such?

I have the STB setup using its RCA L/R/Video out jacks running into the DT to get audio & video from the STB into the tivo.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I wouldn't recommend repeating all of GS if not necessary.

You could try settings, channels, channel list, press enter to say it's the wrong list, which will take you through some of GS.

Your recordings should be okay, stuff like default recording quality, et cetera, should be left untouched, SPs might need to be checked individually to make sure they know where on the new channel list to find the particular show.

6. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You won't lose anything. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Moving from clear QAM to encrypted has nothing do with it. It is the conversion to digital that is the issue. S2s have analog tuners and cannot record digital channels directly. QAM is digital, "clear QAM" is just unencrypted digital. Obviously, your Comcast still had a few remaining analog channels which they are now getting rid of.

8. jdmatl

jdmatl New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks guys for all the help. I will "remove the old analog tuner".

I have decided to get a homerunHD Dual Tuner from silicondust to record the digital channels to divx that can stream to the tivo.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/

It will also record OTA HD and works with all the major media servers, beyondtv, mythtv, win7 media center. Pretty slick product.