1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bearbig, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Yes I'm beating this to death.
    What would be the benefits of the DTV HD DVR over the new TIVO.
    I think I could deal with it but the wife likes our TIVO's.

What is scheduling shows like? Does the DVR do season passes? Does it follow a show if the air time changes?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The user interface looks different, but the same general functionality applies. You schedule shows using search or the guide, season passes are there under a different name and yes, it follows the show if the air time changes. The recording options are a bit more flexible than TiVos and keyword searches are more powerful.

The benefits would be the added network features, such as whole-home recording, the iPad app and "DirecTV Everywhere", widgets and some additional on-demand features. My wife uses both our THR22 and HR21, but she prefers the TiVo interface.

3. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    thanks
    looks as if we will be going with the new TIVO then.

4. kenr

kenr New Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Florham...
    Do you also prefer the THR22?

5. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I find the THR22 user interface and speed to be better. The HR21 can do more, but it often takes more button presses to get to a function and one has to switch focus from the left column list to the list of options on the right. On the HRxx, it's not always immediately obvious where a function belongs, but after a while you get used to it. For basic DVR functions, I'd be happy with either one, but I do enjoy the added network features of the HR21.

6. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Thanks Steve.
    What do you mean by network features? We do not use movies or videos from the web ( have a TIVO HD for off air TV).
    Also I get confused with the alpha numerical reference to the units.
    What do THR22 and HR21 refer to?
    How does the whole house feature work? Could we do awat with the reciever in the basement? Can different tv's in the house watch different programs? If so how does the remote location control the display?

sorry for all the questions.

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Network features such as using an iPad to watch programs recorded or showing live, streaming recordings to a PC, YouTube, Pandora, etc.

THR22 is the model number of the new HD DirecTV TiVo. HR21 is one of the "DirecTV Plus" models that don't use TiVo software. The hardware is identical between these two other than the disk drive (the THR22 is actually based on the HR22, with a 500GB drive.) However, the HR22 platform is 3-4 years old - current models are HR24 (much faster processor) and HR34 (records 5 shows at once, whole home server.)

The whole home viewing lets you watch a show that is recorded on any HRxx DVR in your house on another. There's also a small device called a "RVU" that attaches to a TV that can play content from another HRxx DVR, but not record. Content and control is moved across the coax lines between the boxes.

8. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Ok I called DTV yesterday to order the new TIVO for the $118 that was quoted me about a month ago ,only to be told the best they could offer is $160!!
    I was also told I couldn't use my current 18" dish with 2 leads. They told me I could use this setup in Aug.
    Anyone know the true story?

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It is quite true that you cannot use your 18" dish. Well, I suppose that you COULD use it but you would get only SD channels.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You should have grabbed that offer back in August. You could try playing "CSR roulette" to see if you can get something better. And while you can use your old dish, you won't get any HD channels with it.

11. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Thanks.
    Anyone know the azimuth and elevation of the HD satellite at the 45 parallel?
    The tech that came out about 30 months ago said I would have trouble seeing the new satellite

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    http://www.dishpointer.com

13. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
  14. chamelea

chamelea New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    USA West Coast
    Half-way hijack, but it's actually an extension of the same topic.

I'm pondering upgrade from my old dTiVos to an HD unit (or two?), along with the necessary upgrade from my oval dish. Besides that, my H10-250 quit receiving locals awhile back, and I don't want to mess with it.

Regarding the choice among the THR22 vs HR24 vs HR 34 . . . I find SlowMo essential for sports, and I recall that the D* units have a crippled version of SlowMo? This alone might dictate my choice.

Secondly, I like the idea of remote internet access to the DVR, but they told me I cannot get the HR34 unless I take at least two receivers. I don't actually need 2 units since I live alone & only watch TV in my living room. I wonder if one of my old Series-2 dTiVos would qualify? (I might ask them to run a line to the kitchen.)

Special note to SteveL & Litzdog ... you guys are especially helpful ... Thanks.

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The DTiVo doesn't count as far as the HR34 goes, since it cannot participate in whole-home viewing. The THR22 has some aspects of Internet access - you can do remote scheduling and download some on-demand shows.

I can't really comment on the slow-mo, it's not something I tend to use much, but I don't recall it being an issue on my HR21. I have read that MPEG4 makes slow-mo more difficult, but perhaps the TiVo software does it better.

16. coxric

coxric New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I've read everything here about the DirecTiVo THR-22 model, and I'm currently having one installed. The technician is trying to talk me out of it because I'll be missing the network functions.

But I currently have a TiVo HD that I use to stream Neftlix and record OTA. We'll be using it along with whatever we select from DirecTV. We only have one television and have no plans for another, as our youngster watches Netflix on our iPad.

My fiance is used to the TiVo interface, and I prefer it to what I know about the DirecTV interface. Anyone have any input? As far as I can tell, the DirecTivo seems like the way to go.

17. Smush401

Smush401 New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Catasauqua,...
    I currently have a Premiere from my cable company. I'm thinking of upgrading my directv HD box to the THR22. Does anyone know if the remotes for each box will interfere with each other. The TiVo's will be on top of one another on the tv stand. Thanks.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, they won't interfere. The THR22 remote uses DirecTV remote codes.

19. Smush401

Smush401 New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Catasauqua,...
    Ok thanks

20. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Ok, I think I will play CSR roulette. About the HD with the 18" dish, I read on Weaknees about a B something or other. Seems as it allows for HD with a twin downlead and multi switch. I was told by an installer that I can't "see" the new satellites.