1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo won't delete S2 I sold

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SNJpage1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I sold my S2 after buying a Tivo HD a few years back. I was looking at my account and it still showed it as being on my account. I had sold it with life time and told the buyer to call Tivo and create his own account. I used the Live Chat to talk to a Tivo rep and asked how to get it removed. He said they can not remove the old S2 from my account. This doesn't sound correct. Has any one gone thru the same thing?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I went through the same thing recently with an old S3 I sold. They said they could not remove it. The best they could do was create a whole new account for me and then move the TiVos I wanted over to it.

Just FYI TiVos you sell will always show on your account, even if the new owner moves them. You can tell if that's happened by going to the DVR preference section. You'll only be able to modify the name, etc... for TiVo that are actually still on your account.

3. jhjones75

jhjones75 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Denver
    Or if the new person never activates it you can rename them in your account to anything you want. I have one on my account listed as "NotOurTivo" and I disabled all video services on it. They eventually transferred it after I did that, although it still shows up in my list.

4. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I think a lifetime service is bound to a unit as if it was a piece of hardware. In order to remove it, they'd probably need to have some place to move it to. I don't think they delete lifetime services.

The other guy probably didn't call in to transfer it to his account.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    As others have stated, the machine will always be a part of your account, even after transferred, but you won't be able to manipulate anything like network transfers, etc, it's always been this way and Tivo doesn't really seem to care about fixing it, I know personally I never really though it was that big a deal, there are at least 3 old devices still referenced in my account that I haven't owned for quite a long time.

6. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I sold a DVR with lifetime and it is no longer on the account. A cancelled unit will stay, but not a lifetime unit.

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The old TiVos in your account are ones that you paid for the Lifetime Service so you could look up the date and cost of those lifetime purchases on the TiVo web sight. If you purchase a lifetime TiVo from say E-Bay, move it into your TiVo account, then, sometime in the future, sell that lifetime TiVo it will go out of your account completely when moved to the new owner.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Well yes, I have bought every one of them, I wasn't really referring to the 2nd and 3rd hand units, only units that you bought and had lifetime on, they're always on your account.

9. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I sold a lifetime series 3 a while back and I think it still shows up on my account. The buyer never contacted me to indicate he couldn't get it added to his account so I never worried about it. I haven't logged into my account for at least a year since I sold my last Tivo. Since it's a lifetime unit there are no charges being accrued so I couldn't care less if it's there or not.