1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo won't change channels anymore

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bosox18, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bosox18

bosox18 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I've had my Tivo Series 2 for about five years. Changes channels on my DirecTV satellite using IR. Had a small problem earlier this year with a new satellite box -- the channel didn't always change -- but slowing down the setting seems to have fixed that.

No problems for months, channels changed fine as late as 2 p.m. this afternoon, but now there is no response. Tivo flashes the program information as if it has changed channels, but the satellite dish doesn't seem to be affected at all.

The IR is still plugged in where it always has been. The two ends of the IR are hanging in the same spot on the satellite dish. Can someone help me please?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Using a digital camera's display you should be able to "see" the IR signal coming out of the blasters when the TiVo tries to change channels. That should at least tell you if the blasters are still functional.

Any new sources of IR interference in the room that might be messing with the channel changes?

3. bosox18

bosox18 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Just a regular digital photo camera? What am I supposed to see? Where am I supposed to look? Mostly all I see is darkness on the LCD screen.

No new forms of interference since it last worked.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You point the digital camera at the IR blasters. When you try to change the channel, you should see pulses of light being emitted from the blasters.
    This also works for remotes. You should perhaps check that too.

[​IMG]

5. bosox18

bosox18 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The remote is fine -- it works for everything else, and I also have an all-in-one remote that has the same problem. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't see any life from the IR when I attempt to change the channel. Does that mean I need new cables?

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sorry, I should have explained the use of the digital camera more clearly (thanks, steve614).

If you're seeing IR from your remote, but not from the blasters, it does sound like the blasters aren't working properly. Check your connections, or maybe check the settings on your TiVo to make sure it's controlling your sat box properly.

7. bosox18

bosox18 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Do the blasters go bad? I've had them for years, and they've always controlled the DirecTV receiver just fine. I'm not sure what settings I should be checking -- I tried to set up the channel changing again, but the test didn't accomplish anything.

The connections seem fine. Will a new set of IR cables likely fix it, or could it be some problem with the Tivo box?

Thanks very much for the help, BTW.

8. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Look at the BLASTERS through the camera to see if they're emitting the IR signal. If they're not you need to replace them. If they are, and I doubt they will, it's something else.

9. bosox18

bosox18 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Yep, I looked at the blasters. Doesn't appear to be any action going on. I'll order a new set and hopefully that will fix it.

10. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Active Member

May 15, 2002
    Did you reboot the DVR first? Once in a great while, this happens to me and my DirecTV box. Rebooting the Tivo clears it up.

11. bosox18

bosox18 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Rebooted it twice, and the satellite box once.

12. AnnyT

AnnyT New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I too am having problems with Series 2 not changing channels. I have tried 3 different Tivo Series 2 boxes and all will download info but when they get to the channel changing they can't complete the task. I have also installed new IR cables and they change the TV fine, but when on Tivo it doesn't work. Please Help!

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are these S2s connected to cable and is the cable company still providing analog channels?