1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo without cable card

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kturcotte, Dec 14, 2013.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    We have high speed Internet, and there are also some basic, low level channels included with this, in the clear. I have the Baaic Roamio, since I use it with an antenna, but was wondering if I could connect the cable to it instead and get those basic channels without a cable card?

2. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Why not just try it? :confused:

3. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Just remember that the Basic Roamio is either OTA or cable.

There is no way for it to do both at the same time.

4. hamz9561

hamz9561 New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    South Texas
    Also remember that the basic channels must be digital not analog.

5. gigaguy

gigaguy New Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I did this to a lifetimed Premiere I just set up in the bedroom via cable, no cablecard or tuning adapter. it gets lots of std def channels, #2-77, only the networks in HD, like ABC NBC FOX PBS. We have Time Warner and they do switched SDV on most channels so you need the tuning adapter and cablecard to get more HD channels here.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It can be done, but you won't get guide data for the clear QAM channels unless they are mapped directly to "normal" channel numbers (like channel 5, 6, 10 etc.) If they're channels like 101-1, 101-2, 101-3, there won't be data.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You could try an eBay CableCard to do the mapping. Works for me. YMMV.

8. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I thought you couldn't actually purchase/own a legitimate cable card?

9. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    There are "blank" cards on ebay. But the cable co won't activate or pair them. Some folks have had luck inserting the blank cards and getting the local/unencrypted channels to work correctly. Very ymmv. You can try it. Worst case, you're out about $10.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If I sold a cable card that was paired to someone in my area they would get cable basic without pairing, but I don't know if the internal cable card timer would time out sometime in the future. As a note I had left a TiVo with a paired cable card unplugged for about 45 days, when I plug the unit back in I could only get basic cable, called Comcast and had them hit my card(s) and all worked after that, no re-pairing was needed.

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    We're talking about using unpaired, unactivated cards to do mapping of open QAM channels only. This doesn't get you any more channels than you can already tune without a card, just puts them in the right slots to match the TiVo's guide data.