1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo wireless N adapter switching from 5 to 2.4 ghz

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nickb6, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1 of 19
    nickb6

nickb6 New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Hello,

I switched from wired to wireless recently because we are about to move and I wanted to figure out my wireless set up as it seemed like an easier solution at our newer place. I'm having a terrible time with the adapter so far.

I followed the instructions for pressing the WPS buttons on my Cisco E2500 router and the adapter, but it only connected at the 2.4ghz band. I then the did manual set up via web browser and used only the 5ghz ssid. This worked for a week or so and the lights were blue I the adapter. Last night for no reason at all, it now shows green, which means it is connected at 2.4ghz. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks for any help.

2. Oct 2, 2012 #2 of 19
    lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Is anything else on your network running at 2.4Ghz? That may be the cause for the downgrade.

3. Oct 2, 2012 #3 of 19
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    As far as I can tell, the tivo wireless adater only works on the 2.4 band.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #4 of 19
    nickb6

nickb6 New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Everything except the TiVo adapter is running at 2.4ghz. When the lights are green on the adapter, there is noticeable video lag when streaming recordings from one TiVo to the other, so I need to figure out how to get it to stay at 5ghz. The strange thing is that I only gave it the 5ghz ssid to connect to, so I don't know how it switched to the 5ghz band.

Sorry for any typos; I'm on my iPhone. Thanks for any help.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #5 of 19
    nickb6

nickb6 New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    That can't be right because it was working flawlessly when the lights showed blue on the adapter. The manual that came with it states that it will illuminate blue when on the 5ghz frequency, and there is a very noticable difference.

6. Oct 2, 2012 #6 of 19
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    G or N?

7. Oct 2, 2012 #7 of 19
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I did not think the TiVo Wireless N Adapter was 5GHz capable, But TiVo says it is?
    http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/faqs/about-wirelessn/index.html
    What do the lights on my TiVo Wireless N Adapter mean?
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1593

I wonder if it is also capable of Simultaneous Dual Band?

8. Oct 3, 2012 #8 of 19
    ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Not sure if this helps, but this suggestion was from the Cisco Forum

Re: E2500 Constantly Dropping Connections
    Options
    09-28-2011 01:50 PM

The concern is that you are getting dropping connections…. Since you have configured the Router with the help of the Cisco Connect Software then you have to open that up in which you have installed… There you will be able to see 4 small window screens…
    You have to click on “Router setting” window…
    Then click on “Advanced settings” button… That will open the Router Setup page then click on Wireless Tab and make the following wireless channel-
    For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you have to make the Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11...
    For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you have to make the Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

Then check the connectivity…
    Message 3 of 5 (726 Views)

9. Oct 3, 2012 #9 of 19
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 v1 with both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz radios turned on and my TiVo N adapters connects to the 5Ghz as that radio has a different SSID than the 2.4Ghz radio. I know this as I did a manual setup using a notebook computer to set up my N adapter as instructed.

10. nickb6

nickb6 New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Yeah, that seems to have been my issue. I thought that I had two separate SSID's, but apparently that wasn't the case. I changed the name of the 5ghz network, did the manual setup again and locked it to the 5ghz band. So far so good.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Here's a thought. When setting up the SSID's, give them similar names, but include a 2 in one and a 5 in the other, or a 24 in one and a 50 in the other, so you know for sure which is which.

Maybe like homenet2 and homenet5 or sumpin'.

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Exactly what i did, the SSID name the same just ends with 2Ghz or 5Ghz

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Can I ask a stupid question? (if not, just disregard the rest)

I have the Tivo N adapters. Router - Cisco Valet Plus (M20). Modem - ATT 3360

It's always been on 2.4ghz but I believe that the router also handles 5.0

Is there an advantage to switching it to 5.0? I didn't realize it was related to any kind of strength thing and just thought it was a 'whichever gives you a clear signal' thing. Back when I first got a router I had 2.4ghz cordless phones and discovered that there was an interruption factor there so I since changed to the DECT 6.0 phones.

My wireless network is comprised of several computers (seldom do I have more than one in operation at any given time but sometimes I'm doing updates and maintenance on two or three at a time) and my two Tivo Premieres.

I have pretty fast DSL and no internet or wireless problems, BUT whenever I get a movie from Amazon it takes 2-3 times the length of the movie for it to load. I have no idea why this is, as I don't have slowness or connectivity problems. So I am now thinking maybe this could be the reason (?).

14. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Transfer speeds over 5 ghz is a bit faster than 2.4 ghz but the increase in throughput is limited by a shorter wireless distance as compared to 2.4 ghz. You may want to try the 5 ghz band on your router. You may be pleasantly suprised by improved data transfer speeds.

15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thank You, AJ! :) It probably wouldn't hurt to try. I have a moderately large house so I don't know if the distance w/b problematic. I notice that on my bdrm Tivo adapter, it almost always has all 3 bars but the living room one (which, really, isn't any further from the router) almost always has only 2 bars.

16. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    I have two new Roamios and much trouble using Tivo desktop or Py in transfering a video to my laptop or desktop. It will just stop or get interrupted too many times. I think it might be my wireless AP but do not want to buy another one and find it is not the problem. My home system has 5 devices plus the two tivos on the wireless network which then cables to a router running a desktop. All connects to Comcast. The speed is fine and we seem to be able to stream netflicks movies without a stopping but the transfer seems to be the issue.
    There are dual band APs running 2.4 and 5 but are those really necessary? Most of the devices are at a G adapter and not N...which I know the Tivos have. I would cable connect to my Roamio with my laptop direct to do a transfer if I knew how. Seems like my wireless for all these devices works fine...just the Tivo issue. Maybe someone knows how to do the direct transfer from Roamio to PC?

Any suggestions? Also most devices are not more than 20 ft from the AP.

Current AP is an Amped 300

17. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    The Amped 300 is an wireless range extender, correct? Why do you need an extender? How far is the extender from your router/wireless gateway.

If you can, plug both your TiVo and computer(s) either into one of the Amped 300 ethernet ports or one of your routers ethernet ports and setup your TiVo as an wired connection.

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

If you go to each device on your network that does not leave the house and use whatever mechanism it provides to give it a fixed IP address*, it might help, it almost certainly won't hurt, and you'll have a list of what device has what address if you ever need to ping one of them while troubleshooting.

*that lies outside your router's pool of addresses to be handed out via DHCP.

Said pool probably doesn't need to be very large, either.

19. ej42137

ej42137 Active Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles