1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter Not Detected

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jrblaze, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Aug 5, 2006 #1 of 41
    jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    I have been running my Tivo for over a year with a Linksys WRT54G Router and a D-Link Wireless B Adapter (Model No. DWL-122) without any issues.

I wanted to upgrade to a faster wireless G adapter so I just purchased a new Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter (Model No. AG0100). I disconnected my D-Link and connected my new Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter and didn't receive a message stating that if found a new network adapter. On the main 'Phone & Network' screen under 'Network Connection Details' is says 'No Connection'.

I tried selecting 'Use Network Instead' then 'Yes, I have all of the above' then 'OK, I've plugged in a Network Adapter' and then I get a screen stating 'Ethernet Not Found The Tivo DVR has not detected an Ethernet link.

I tried restarting the tivo from the menu option with no luck.

I have tried unplugging the tivo and plugging it back in with the Adapter Plugged in and no success.

I have also tried restarting/unplugging the tivo with no adapter unplugged and then plugged it in afterward and still no success.

I am currently running Tivo Software Version 7.3.1-oth-01-2-540

I even swapped out my first Tivo Wireless Adapter and got a whole new Tivo Wireless Adapter (usb wire and all) and still have the same problem. I can't figure out why a Tivo Wireless Adapter made by Tivo for Tivo doesn't just work without any issues?

Does anyone think it is because of the Software Version 7.3.1-oth-01-2-540 that I am running or maybe because the Tivo still some how is getting the D-Link Adapter confused with the Tivo Adapter and doesn't want to install or recognize the Tivo Adapter??

PLEASE HELP!!!! :)

As a last resort I did a full Reset and Clear of my Tivo to start from Scratch.

Oh yeah, I tried 2nd USB Port as well.

Any suggestions!!!!!

2. Aug 5, 2006 #2 of 41
    TomJHansen

TomJHansen New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    Mesa, AZ, USA
    You might have tried this already, but did you reset your router? I had the same problem with one of my Tivos using an older Linksys B wireless router (an adapter that has worked for over two years) and I was getting the same screen about ethernet not being connected. After I tried rebooting the Tivo, unplugging and replugging the adapter, new cord, new adapter (from another Tivo) - I finally tried rebooting the router. I think (in addition to other things) that clearing the DHCP cache (by rebooting the router) fixed the problem. So maybe your Tivo isn't getting a new IP address (because the router thinks it has one).

Anyway a hard boot of the wireless router fixed the problem for me. You might want to try that.

3. Aug 5, 2006 #3 of 41
    jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    I'll give it a try and post what happens.

4. Aug 5, 2006 #4 of 41
    jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Well I did a full reset of my router and still no luck but I am going to try a couple more things now that the router has been reset.

It seems like the Tivo doesn't even think the adapter is connected because I am not getting any message stating that the a New Wireless Adapter has been found.

5. Aug 5, 2006 #5 of 41
    jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    want to post a url for help but need 5 posts.

so post

6. Aug 5, 2006 #6 of 41
    jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
  7. Aug 5, 2006 #7 of 41
    maki

maki New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Do the lights on the adapter come on? How do they act?

8. Aug 6, 2006 #8 of 41
    jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Green Power Light Comes on but link light doesn't do anything.

9. Aug 6, 2006 #9 of 41
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Do you still have your old D-Link adapter? If you re-connect it, does it work?

Are you using the USB cable that came with the TiVo adapter? Is it securely plugged into the adapter?

10. jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Yes I still have the "old D-Link adapter".

Yes, the D-Link adapter does work when I reconnect it.

Yes, I am using the USB Cable that came with the Tivo adapter.

Yes, the USB Cable is securely plugged into the adapter as well as the back of the tivo box.

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That's pretty strange ... the power LED comes on, so obviously the USB cable and connection are good, but the TiVo isn't detecting the adapter (hence no MAK address listed on the Network Information screen). Seems dubious you could have gotten two bad adapters in a row ... :confused:

12. TomJHansen

TomJHansen New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    Mesa, AZ, USA
    Go into your router and look at the DHCP Clients table - is the Tivo listed? If so, can you delete it? Then try to connect again? The MAK should be made up of the adapter and the device - so maybe the router thinks it has already assigned the IP address. I thought if you reset the router, it reset that, but maybe not.

Anyway, I bet that's your problem. Or a bad batch of Tivo adapters - but that's probably unlikely.

13. jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005

I'll give it a try.

14. Prowest

Prowest A TiVo in Every Home

Aug 18, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I just had a similar problem when I move my S2 single tuner TiVo to another room. It did not recognize the wireless connection. The problem was that the USB port did not completely connect with the plug that went to the wireless adapter. You may want to stay on the Network Connection screen and play with the plug going into the TiVo to see if it will connect if you jiggle it around. Once I got the connection, I was able to leave it alone and it remained.

15. jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005

Okay did what you said and erased all the DHCP Client Table information and plugged in the Tivo adapter with no success so I restarted the tivo and still no luck. Then I plugged it into the other usb port and still nothing so I try restarting the tivo again and still nothing.

16. jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Okay I jiggled the connection moved it all over the place and even unplugged it multiple times from the back of the tivo and the back of the adapter and:

IT IS STILL NOT BEING SEEN BY THE TIVO!!!! :mad:

17. jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Is there any way to go back a Software Version to see it that solves my problem????

18. maki

maki New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I hate to say it but maybe you should try exchanging the adapter again. Or maybe returning it and buying one somewhere else. ;)

19. jrblaze

jrblaze New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    I will probably exchange this one for a new one again and see if that solves the problem but I still want any suggestions that anyone can think of in the mean time because I have to wait for the store to get a new shipment of the Adapters.

I will be really surprised if I find out that 2-adapter were defective....

20. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Unfortunately, no.