1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo, what are you doing, No HDMI-CEC?????

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Nightpoison, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Nightpoison

Nightpoison New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Tivo,

This is a letter to know what is going on. Your new devices you just announced are great! Offering up to 3TB of storage, up to 6 tuners, updated software, better internals, wifi built-in, and an updated design. At the end of the day I have to ask, what were you thinking not including HDMI-CEC support? Sure leave it off the base model, toss around the idea for the Plus, but it has to be apart of your Pro line. After all its a Pro level feature right. So why did you leave it off? Some of us use and want this functionality, functionality that is available in much cheaper and inferior product. So can you explain why you left it out?

I would really like to know as I'm debating about picking up the new X1 box from Comcast and moving on from Tivo. I've had four Tivo units now. My first one was in 2003 and have had seen your company grow. Each new model you release you leave something off. Something that should be current generation. Leaving us always wanting.

I am being honest, could you please let us know why you decided to make this poor decision? We would all very much like to know.

respectfully a long time customer,
    Michael

2. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    "CEC wiring is mandatory, although implementation of CEC in a product is optional."

They could add it later. But I'm assuming it's because they want you using their experience entirely - rather than say trying to run it through the new Xbox One.

3. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    but it's useful in so many other scenarios. I want the TV to switch to TiVo's input automatically when I want to watch TiVo. If Google can include this in a $35 Chromecast, TiVo should be able to include it in a box that costs more than 10x that.

4. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    how would it switch to Tivo's input automatically....... is it a mind reader? lol ;)

You have to hit a button to switch it, so I'm not sure I understand. Though I have a Harmony One remote.

5. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    True, they don't have to implement all the CEC commands....

6. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Chromecast rocks, it feels like magic when you send it a request and it changes your input.
    I go from watching my Tivo on input 1, to a youtube video on input instantly.
    I got 3x Chromecast devices.

7. mwecksell

mwecksell New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Pressing the TiVo button should trigger the request to change inputs to the TiVo.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    But you could have the TiVo tell the TV (or AV reciever) to switch to it's input if you press the 'TiVo' button on the TiVo remote. (Edit: What mweksell said)

That would save you from having to program a universal remote with the input switch command. Being able to switch back to TiVo using only the peanut remote could be occasionally useful to me.

Also it could, if TiVo implemented the appropriate transport commands, play and pause your TiVo shows using the (non-universal) TV or AV receiver remote because they'd relay the command over HDMI. (Personally I wouldn't bother with that because I prefer the TiVo remote.)

Or for people who like using standby on their TiVos HDMI CEC could tell the TiVo when the TV was turned on and off; so the TiVo could automatically go into standby when the TV was turned off and wake up when it was turned back on. (Or wait until a TiVo button was pressed to wake up; but certainly auto-standby when TV turned off would be helpful to those people)

9. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    You need a receiver or TV that uses CEC though. Mine's 5 years old, and I don't think it does.

10. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    TiVo doesn't WANT you to switch inputs, one box, remember?

11. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    right. what are the other inputs for? you don't need them! pishaw.

12. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    But HDMI-CEC would make it easier to switch *to* TiVo as well. Putting their head in the sand (again) and leaving out obvious innovation that other devices include, just makes them look stupid (again.)

13. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I understand your point, but I'd be happier if Tivo would finish "baking" its existing products rather than adding shiny new features that never get fully supported.

I'm *still* waiting for my Tivo S3 to support two tunes with a single M-Card. :p
    Nevermind that full HD UI that's more than 3 years overdue!

14. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    All you need to experience is the HDMI-CEC on a $35 Chromecast to see that it's not hocus pocus. It's a simple spec that any new device should incorporate. Power on, switch input. That's all we're asking.

As far as your S3 goes, you really need to *stop* waiting for any new improvements or support for that box. They are not in the works. The S3 line died (in the eyes of TiVo) long ago. There have been so many signs of this, it's patently obvious. Sorry. Let it go.

15. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    And the same goes for OTA - Let it go!

16. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I guess I was too subtle in my statement of "still waiting". I didn't mean that waiting=expecting. Rather, I meant that it never happened. I "let it go" years ago, though I'm still paying an extra $8.50 per month to Comcast for the second M-card required for the second tuner.

As for your desire for HDMI-CEC, I'm sure it will be included in the Series 6. Or perhaps 7. Tivo is one company whose "cutting edge" often gets released with aspects that are behind the times.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The S3 was built to a draft specification of the M-Card standard. A last minute change to the standard made it impossible for the hardware itself to support a single M-Card. That's why we never got that, it wasn't a software limitation.

As mentioned above CEC could still be added via software, so we may eventually see this. However, as we all know, TiVo is a bit slower then other companies when it comes to software updates so it could be a while.

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yet another thing (along with Amazon Prime Streaming) that my $35 RasPi running XBMC/OpenElec can do that my TiVo can't. :rolleyes:

Still, probably won't deter me from getting one. :D

19. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    True, but my TV and receiver happen to both be new enough to support it.

I'm currently using it for keeping the receiver slaved to the TV's power state - turn the TV on and the receiver notices and turns itself on as well; turn the TV off and the receiver automatically turns off. I could do that with a universal remote; but this way is more reliable (they can't end up out of sync from a missed IR command) and even works if I use the TV's physical power button.

So if TiVo did output CEC codes to alert the receiver to switch inputs that could save me having go pick up the remote receiver to get back to the TiVo input if I'd had it on game or blu-ray. (and forgotten to switch back when I was done)

That said, it's hardly a big deal for me - it'd just be a nice add if they did implement this.