1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo vs FIOS DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ps0303, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ps0303

ps0303 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    I'm new here and I just happened to be looking at something on the net and saw where people have been using TiVO on their FIOS service. Here is my setup and I want to know how I can benefit from going to TiVO.

I have 2 HD Multi Room DVR's and two normal FIOS boxes. I have the two multi room DVRs because we record a lot and currently you can only record two shows at a time but then you can't watching anything else on that TV.

How do I benefit from going to TiVo from what I have?

2. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    I will let others chime in, but your second sentence is a big reason.

With a TIVO Roamio Plus, you get six tuners vs the four you have now.

Your monthly rate for two FIOS DVR's is close to forty dollars. Around 15 for the TIVO.

Depending on the model of the FIOS boxes you may also gain recording capacity with the one TIVO box.

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, as long as the shows are not copy protected, you could download them to a computer for backup/to keep/etc.

4. ps0303

ps0303 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    So right now I have and pay per month/yr the following:

Multi-Room DVR (1) $19.99/mo. - $240/yr
    DVR (1) $16.99/mo. - $204/yr
    SD Set Top Box (2) $13.98/mo. - $335/yr
    ------------------------------
    Total per month: $64.94/mo - $780/yr

So with TiVo I would need:

TiVo ROAMIO Plus w/lifetime $499.00

So that takes care of the multi room DVR that I pay $240 yr. for. What would I then purchase for the three other TV's, three mini's @ a one-time payment of $149.99 ea.?

Then I would just need to get a card from VZ to insert into the main ROAMIO so I can get the channels? Do I also need a card for the mini for each TV I have one hooked to?

Thanks for helping me understand.

5. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The Roamio Plus is $400 for the hardware, and $500 for the lifetime service fee. The Mini is $99 plus $150 for Lifetime.

Roamio Plus w/ Lifetime = $900
    Minis with Lifetime x3 = $750

So the upfront cost is $1650 for a Roamio Plus + 3 Minis and Lifetime service on everything. ($1550 if the 'PLSR' coupon code still works for $100 off the Roamio's Lifetime service.)

If you chose to pay monthly for anything, you can dock that Lifetime fee from the upfront cost.

The 1 cablecard for the Roamio is all you need. The 3 Minis borrow tuners from the Roamio as needed.

The upfront cost is hefty, but it's a long-term saving after the break-even at around 2.5-ish years.

6. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    TiVo Roamio Plus + lifetime is $900 ($399 box + $499 lifetime).
    three TiVo Mini + lifetime is $750 ($99 + $150 x 3).

So $1650 total. This is equivalent to about 2 years of what you're paying now. But remember that after 2 years, you're ahead. And you could sell the Roamio and Mini's at that time if you want (guessing for 50% or more of what you paid).

You need one cablecard the Roamio. The Mini's won't need a card ... they connect to the Roamio to view recorded shows or borrow a tuner for live TV.

7. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Actually the Roamio Plus is 400 + 500 lifetime for a total price of $900.

I'll do a monthly fee comparison so it's apples to apples. For your setup you would need 1 Roamio plus and 3 Minis. That would cost $700 total upfront. Then without lifetime you would be paying $15+6*3 a month plus $5 to Verizon for a cable card for a total monthly charge of $38. So you'd be saving $27 a month but have an upfront charge of $700. Assuming no interest, you'd break even in 26 months.

Of course many prefer lifetime over monthly. I just wanted to use monthly because it's closer to what you have now. Also, you can save $25 on the Roamio Plus if you buy from weaknees with their coupon and $10 each on the Minis if you buy from Amazon. Factoring in the $55 savings would get your break even date to 24 months.

8. InFromTheCold

InFromTheCold New Member

May 28, 2008
    NY, NY
    It looks to me as if the Tivo prices you're quoting are for the Tivo lifetime service subscriptions only, but not the cost of the equipment itself (an additional cost).

9. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    The price for the Roamio is $399 currently, with an additional $499 for lifetime. Or a monthly of around $15.

You would need one cablecard for the Roamio not for the Mini.

The Mini is around $89 currently on Amazon with a monthly of $5.99

10. ps0303

ps0303 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    I guess I should clean my glasses off. After all of you explained to me the real price, I'm now wondering where the benefit of TiVo is. A two year payoff seems a long time. Having a device that could record up to 6 items at a time is great but the mini uses one of the recorders tuners to watch TV. Hmm, I really have to think about this.

11. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    The Mini only uses one of the tuners on the plus when the Mini is active. The plus has Dynamic Tuner Allocation (DTA), which frees up the tuner when the Mini is not being used for live or recorded TV.

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Recording and watching each requires a separate tuner, unless you're recording the channel you're watching. Doing this with a FIOS DVR requires both a DVR and a set top box for watching one channel and recording another. They also have a multi-room DVR with two tuners that would do the same thing.

I'm not going to throw numbers at you regarding the benefits of a Tivo vs. a FIOS DVR setup. I'm on FIOS and I use Home Theater PCs (HTPCs) throughout my house with cablecard tuners for watching, recording, and sharing TV. Aside from the initial hardware costs for the PCs and tuners, the monthly cost for FIOS TV programming is the same and I only need to rent a couple of cablecards, same as multiple Tivos.

There are no monthly or lifetime fees for the Tivo service and the vast majority of the software you need is either included in Windows 7 or 8 or it's free. When you crunch the numbers, you'll see that HTPCs are actually more cost effective in the long run. They're also more versatile and easily upgradable. Note that it helps to be a little PC savvy, but you don't have to be a guru to set one up and use it as long as you don't start using the PC for other things that can ultimately hose things up.

The best part about FIOS is that they don't flag any of their content except the premium channels, making it easy to share recordings with other PCs. I generally use one PC for recording and I can access the recordings from any other PC to watch on other TVs.

If you want more info, send me a PM and I'll forward some links for you to check out.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    FiOS only flags the HBo and Cinemax channels. The other premium channels can be transferred without issue.

Well at least on normal Verizon FiOS. If you have Frontier FiOS it might be different.

14. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I don't subscribe to any of the premiums at the moment. It was my understanding that all premium channels can't be copied. I knew about HBO and Cinemax so I just assumed it affected the other premiums as well. I won't be subscribing to any premiums now or in the future so it's a moot point in my case. Still, it's good info to know. Thanks for the clarification.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Not really. I just semi-retired my Series 3 last week, after six years. Our other Series 3 had a similar run, ending in hard drive failure, but only after six years. (And I'll fix it one of these days.)

16. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    DirecTV locks you into a 2-year contract if you sign up for one of their DVRs or advanced receivers, so it's not really all that long. I've had numerous Tivos in service for at least 4 or 5 years apiece, if not longer.

17. mostman

mostman Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Boston
    Looking to do the same thing here. Pretty much the exact same setup as the OP. Can I just use the Cablecard that's in one of the FIOS DVRs in the TiVo? Or will I need to order a new one?

18. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You can't just keep the cableCARD in the FIOS DVR; order a new one. See this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=485118

19. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    2 years is a long time? Instead of paying $15/month or whatever for something *the cable company* owns, and you have to give up if you cancel cable? As opposed to something you own,
    that you could sell and recoup some of your purchase price (ESPECIALLY with lifetime service)???

20. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Listen, you don't get TiVo to save money or based on price. While it may break even or eventually come out ahead, nobody is buying a TiVo to save money over their cable DVR. One gets a TiVo because it offers an excellent UI, excellent usage flexibility with the stream and transferring options, and upgrade potential. It's a premium product for which one has to pay a large upfront premium price.

Now you can sometimes come out ahead with a TiVo over the cable DVR but I really don't think TiVo buyers are doing it for the very limited savings.