1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Video Player Native App?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dalabera, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dalabera

dalabera New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Hello,
    I'm just new to Tivo and have the simple question about a Native App inside Tivo. Are developers allow to create an app that plays videos? Either internally or on your the network.

I just think that this route of using your pc and installing third party products is not ideal. For example I have a WD Live streamer that plays everything on a share or external HD.

2. tlp95129

tlp95129 Member

May 16, 2008
    California
    If you install TiVo's TiVo Desktop Plus, you can just drop your videos into a pre-assigned folder and they will be transferred (pushed) to your TiVo, and transcoded if necessary. Alternatively, if the files are Mpeg2 video you can just drop them into your My TiVo Recordings folder and they will show up on your Now Playing list under your PC's machine name.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about getting the TiVo to play something originally recorded on some other device, or getting something originally recorded on the TiVo onto some other device in playable form?

4. dalabera

dalabera New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    No exactly, but can anyone create an application that gets installed in the TiVo and then you can use it from the TiVo central?
    So it shows there like any other app like Netflix or youtube.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There's no way to install your own s/w on a TiVo, at least not on any recent models. There is a way to create a program that runs on the PC but is accessible by the TiVo

I think what everyone is asking is: What do you want this s/w to do that can't be done now? IOW, what functionality would you be adding?