1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo User Interface - Dated?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by GarySargent, Aug 13, 2004.

What do you think of TiVo's user interface?

1. Only just got TiVo - Love the interface

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Only just got TiVo - The interface is OK

15 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Only just got TiVo - Don't like the interface

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. Had TiVo ages - Still love the interface

86 vote(s)
    32.6%
  5. Had TiVo ages - The interface is OK

117 vote(s)
    44.3%
  6. Had TiVo ages - Loved it once, not as keen now

29 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. Had TiVo ages - Never liked the interface

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    I just wondered what people thought of TiVo's user interface these days.

Personally I think its looking pretty dated now and in need of a complete overhaul.

For the purposes of the poll select one of the "Only just got TiVo" if you've had TiVo less than a year.

2. boyz

boyz New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Hull, UK
    How about the option "Couldn't care less, I just use the thing"?

3. mike0151

mike0151 A Friend of Dot

Dec 13, 2001
    Liverpool,...
    I agree with boyz. That would have been my preferred answer. I always use the shortcut keys rather than menus when posible.

4. cyril

cyril New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    Today's gui graphics are much more 'slick-looking' than TiVo, but in terms of useability it's still good.

I would rather have an OK looking interface than one that's hard to use or doesn't do what I want but looks good.

5. Regor

Regor part-timer

Feb 24, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Had TiVo for two years now and still am happy with the interface as does the job well. But at the same time would be nice for a few tweaks here and there to bring up to date.

6. Toothy

Toothy is not a TiVo fanboy

Jun 9, 2002
    HDMI 1080i...
    I've always thought the GUI was rubbish. :thumbsdown:

It seriously needs dragging into the 21st century...but as UK TiVo is dead as a dead thing.......it ain't gonna happen. :( :(

7. digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    Never mind the TiVo interface, what about this forum's interface!! (Is nearly 4 years out of date.) :p
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Voted: "Had TiVo ages - The interface is OK"

I'm the same as Regor. :up: We do deserve long-overdue "tweeks"

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    On that very subject, read this post. Ahh well :(

He said neither "no plans" nor "no current plans". Guess that's an actual "NO" then ;) :)

9. GoodSpike

GoodSpike New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I won't vote because I don't know what your interface looks like over there, but I'd never change an interface simply because it's "dated."

That type of thing gets you programs like Quicken 2004 (not sure you have Quicken over there either, but basically through an annual change in interface they've taken a program that was easy and intuitive and made it a mess.).

10. Toothy

Toothy is not a TiVo fanboy

Jun 9, 2002
    HDMI 1080i...
    If only TiVo had used AMIGAOS instead of Linux...we could have had an MUI (Magical User Interface) based GUI. ;)

MUI is an object oriented system to create and maintain graphical user interfaces. It frees programmers from creating GUI's and allows users the freedom to create their very own unique interface...down to the very last pixel. :D :cool:

Imagine every single TiVo in the UK....with it's very own unique look...as designed by the individual user. :cool:

11. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
    "Never mind the TiVo interface, what about this forum's interface!! (Is nearly 4 years out of date.)"

Actually not even close. The ver 3 of the software was released not long ago. :) It is so now...it is not even reported to be stable yet for larger sites like this. Bummner. But I am hopeful for ver 3.1.

Thanks

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Seems stable enough over on DS. But you'd know better than I on that. I'm only a user :)

13. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Personally I prefer the UI of this forum to that of DS.

What's the point of cluttering up a forum with fancy graphics? People come to forums for information - and the quicker it is to navigate/read the better.

I could put up with being able to change the colours though....

14. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    As for the poll, it seems I voted with the crowd ;)

Yes, a slicker, customisable UI for TiVo would be great - but the product is already so far ahead of the so-called competition in terms of functionality, that I'd put up with a green-screen command-line "UI" if that was all there was.

15. roydonaldson

roydonaldson New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    I've had my Tivo for a couple of years now and initially I was very impressed with the user friendlyness of the GUI. It is slick, easy to use by joe bloggs and his wife, and does exactly what it is meant to do.

I'd generally say that compared to other things out there today, it is pretty comparable and that is where the problem lies with it. When it first came out it was head and shoulders *better* than everything else. If you are speaking about a refresh of the GUI, then I would say yes, as today it should be refreshed to make it better than everything else out there.

Remember we all have Tivo's because they are so much better than other PVR's, not because it's just an ok interface/product.

On that point, is this a poll to actually get us a new interface ? or, just for interest ?

I'd like to be able to put all my West Wing episodes in a folder for instance.

Roy.

16. Regor

Regor part-timer

Feb 24, 2003
    Bournemouth
    The best thing about the interface is that it's so easy to use. My mother has one and even she can use it!!

17. pgogborn

pgogborn Active Member

Nov 11, 2002
    You must have missed the recent occasions / resulting threads when the style sheets kept on falling over.

As for the TiVo user interface, I reckon that as hard drives increase in capacity, its short comings will become increasingly apparent.

If you are going to use the TiVo to create your own television channel with a terabyte of stored programs, you need easy and flexible ways to retrieve programs from your 'Now Playing' list - for example, multiple ways to order the programs, much more flexible folders than currently exist (on the USA version only), ability to add to program descriptions, key word searching of recorded programs etc.

Unfortunately, it will be very difficult to add the above features and still retain the ease of use that marks the current interface.

I have also got to say that I quite like some of the EPG layouts used by other people that reduce the live picture to less than a quarter of the screen, rather than using the TiVo format of a full screen transparent overlay.

18. Stroller

Stroller New Member

Nov 22, 2001
    At me computer
    I see no need to change the UI whatsoever. 'tarting it up' will just slow the device down and make it less user-friendly. It looks neat, clean and professional as is, and changing the look of the UI would be waaaaaaay down my list of priorities!

19. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    I think that we are now used to very smart looking interfaces on a PC display, that make us feel that a TV display should be able to emulate. However, when you see a PC display transferred to a normal TV screen (no plasmas, thankyou!), the picture generally looks crap. Given the low resolution and small colour palette of a TiVo, I don't think it looks that bad. However, I do think they should have included an option for non-transparent EPG screens, and allowed for increased data on a widescreen TV.

20. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK
    Try using Sky+ for a year, then you will just love the TiVo interface.