1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo unveils blueprint for 'transportable DVR'

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by csell, Jul 12, 2013.

1. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Just found this article. Not sure what to make out of it. Here's a small part of it:

TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) has developed a "transportable digital video recorder" which would allow viewers to download content to a mobile device using a docking station, USB or Firewire connections, according to a patent application published late last month.

The invention provides a transportable digital video recorder system. The invention gives a user the ability to record and play back TV broadcast programs and digital video using a compact portable small form factor transportable digital video recorder package. In addition, the invention allows the user to store selected television broadcast programs while the user is simultaneously watching or reviewing another program," TiVo states in the patent application.​

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tivo-unveils-blueprint-transportable-dvr/2013-07-12

2. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Sounds like the way a patent for Tivo Stream would have been written.. instead using a cable.. (If this made downloads faster, I'd probably use it.. but I realize WiFi is not usually the bottleneck.. I *do* download the vast majority of the time, instead of streaming, though, since I can then have more reliable/fast skip forward & back..)

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    When I first saw this I thought maybe it was just housekeeping time at TiVo - making sure old patents have all been properly submitted.

But this very well may be supporting the refresh of TiVo desktop. Although, I am not sure what transferring over wire vs wifi gets you. I don't think the speed would be a significant difference.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I remember years ago, before iPhones/iPads, someone posted a mockup of some sort of portable TiVo. It looked like one of those old portable TVs but with TiVo remote buttons under the screen.

5. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    This sounds awesome!

I'll take one, but I learned my lesson with the Mini...I won't be forking over any $$$ until the product is 100%, and there are no more "here's our product, but we'll roll out an update soon to enable certain features we didn't finish".

6. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I assume this new product would still not allow you to transfer copyrighted material and in my case that is 90% of my shows.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can never copy protected shows. However they might be able to skirt the rules by offering a move option. As long as two copies of the program do not exist at the same time they're technically not violating the "copy once" flag.