1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo UI showing up on Evolution HD DTAs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by slowbiscuit, Jul 10, 2013.

1. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Interesting tidbit on how Tivo is branching out further into MSO land...

http://www.evolutionbb.com/cable/Expect-the-next-big-thing-in-cable/page650.html

New TiVo® UI on Evolution HD uDTAs

Operator-branded HD uDTA, powered by TiVo. Now your lowest-cost box can deliver a feature-rich user experience on every TV. The MSO-branded Evolution Digital HD uDTA is a one-way DTA served by a traditional data carousel which provides a UI experience consistent with the TiVo STB. It provides a low-cost solution for operators looking to extend TiVo service to second and third TVs with a guide and navigation experience not normally seen on DTA devices. Additionally, it’s an extremely compact device able to fit on top, beside or behind the TV.

2. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Very cool.. Nice find! I wonder if TiVo gets paid anything for TiVo service on this device. I'm guessing they don't.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    TiVo probably gets a per-device licensing fee, along with any across the board integration engineering costs, but that's about it. It's highly unlikely that there is any kind of ongoing revenue from this.

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Agreed... probably a one-time fee. Also increases customer satisfaction and reduces churn. I'm also guessing there might be some advertising possibility via the UI as well.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Also more exposure for the brand.

6. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  7. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    How would the TiVo interface be useful without DVR functionality? It's very DVR-centric...

8. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    I question why a cable company would use this at all, seem to me it just more hardware to keep track of. Just officer a STB with DVR. I think everything going to end up being VOD streaming. Everything will be built into the TV no cable cards, tuning adapter or STB.

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    John, this is a significantly lower cost option for the cable company. Every STB has a CableCARD due to the separable security mandate. That CC costs them $40-$50 each. These universal DTAs can be made very low cost compared to a non-DVR set-top box. They also offer lower size & power.

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Well, there will still be an STB. The concept of giving up control to the network really sucks, but many people may eventually accept that. Hopefully CC and USB SDV boxes will be able to work with a TiVo even in a world that's entirely based on a network DVR and complete SDV.

$40-$50?!?!? Who's getting all the licensing fees from that? I'd be shocked if the hardware cost $4.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah... it is crazy how expensive CCs are.. that number is accurate and has been disclosed by a number of people in the industry including Charter in their latest waiver requests...

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think that's necessarily true. The TiVo guide, program info, Parental control, closed captioning, and all of that are perfectly functional without the DVR functions.

I'm one of those that uses my TiVo "wrong," and watch most stuff live, and I can tell you the TiVo interface is perfectly fine for watching live TV.

13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I want to know who all of the money is going to!!! The hardware in those things is like $5 tops, probably more like a buck or two. There have to be some absurd licensing fees involved.

It works in the same way that driving a dump truck to work works. But now they are selling the dump truck without the dump part.

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    So would TiVo and others who have repeatedly asked the FCC to investigate why a product used in the quantity it is hasn't gone down in price.

It is especially curious when CableCARDs haven't changed in years since M-cards were introduced yet the prices continue to rise including what the operators pass on to the consumers.

15. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It is not cost. it is a function of price gouging by two monopoly conditional access providers. You can only use a MOT card on a MOT system.

16. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Couldn't PACE or somebody else make cheap ones that work on a Moto system? Or Comcast farm it out to some other cheap, generic chinese manufacturer?

17. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm a little bit confused by the assertion that Moto cards only work on Moto systems and Cisco/SA cards only work on Cisco/SA systems. The assertion comes from someone very much on the inside. Evolution, in fact, has a qualified M-Card that meets the OpenCable 2.0 Specs. I think the intent of the standards is for the cards to be interchangeable but I'm guessing there could be interoperability problems that results in the assertion that it is easiest for a cable operator to maintain the brand equality between the head-end conditional access and the CableCARD. It appears that the Evolution card is only compatible with Conax encryption.

http://www.evolutionbb.com/cable/Evolution-M-Card-trade-powered-by-Conax-Content-Security/subpage426.html

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It depends if Motorola or Cisco/SA is willing allow others to make them, and on what terms. If they were to, it would probably be on economic terms that would not change the end user price of the cards anyway.

It is not who makes the cards, it is what the CA system protocol the provider uses that dictates what CA system card they need for their customer boxes or to issue to customers for CC devices.

Yes the cards need to be interoperable in consumer CC (Opencable) hardware, but does not need to be such on a cable system, or in provider supplied set-top or grateway devices.

19. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for answering that question!

20. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Since Comcast owns the gear, can't they get other manufacturers to make stuff that works with Moto or SA systems? Also, how do they get stuff like the X1 or DTAs to work that will work across either one?