1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo tweeted that streaming for android is coming next month

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by PCurry57, Aug 18, 2014.

1. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Finally, TiVo has tweeted some love for Android. I'll wait till it's out before I run to BestBuy and grab me a Stream.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If I had grabbed a Stream when I initally wanted to, it would be almost two years now. I'm glad I didn't puchase one and got a Slingbox 350 instead. Of course now I have the built in Stream in my Roamio Pro, that has been useless to me for the last year.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'll say it.... about f*cking time!!! :)

4. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    What is this android you are all talking about???? ;)

5. JayBird

JayBird New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ
    Any hope for streaming to Windows laptops or tablets?

6. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You can *hope* for anything you want. Nothing related to Windows has been rumored.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If they did in fact switch to MPEG-DASH then there is some hope, since that's a standard and supported on Windows as well. HLS, which is what they use now, requires a plug-in or licensing a 3rd party API to get working on Windows right now.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    A major change such as HLS to MPEG-DASH would require a Stream software update, but when I checked the summer update on my Roamio Pro did not change the Stream software version. So there would need to be an update to Stream software as well as coordinated updates to Android and IOS apps for that to all come together. Pretty unlikely for all that to happen at once I would say...

Since I have an iPad Air I'm actually more interested in elimination of the proxy server to make OOH streaming more useable than anything else at this point, but my guess is the focus has been on getting Android supported at the expense of everything else Stream related. I fear we may be stuck with proxy server perpetually...

9. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    They would continue to support HLS on iOS, so it wouldn't require an update to the iOS app when Android streaming is opened up. This is because Apple still requires HLS for cellular streaming. So that just leaves an updated Android app and possibly a Stream update (assuming of course that MPEG-Dash will be the protocol). If they've implemented their own HLS pipeline in the Android app, they might not even need to update the Stream...it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens next month when the switch is thrown :)

10. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Good luck trying to track down a Stream, I had to go to six Best Buys in order to find one. They're mysteriously hard to find.

11. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Got some news from tech support today. Apprently the DVR's, Stream, and both the iOS and Android apps are recieving "groundbreaking" and "revolutionizing" new updates next month. No idea what it means but it sure sounds cool!

12. JayBird

JayBird New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ
    They are in stock and ready to ship from Amazon...

13. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Ah well yes Amazon and TiVo.com of course would have it, I was just referring to Best Buy because it was mentioned.
    I'm also curious about the whole "Stream runs really hot" issue I've heard about and experience. On a given day, streaming a show locally my Stream seems to hover around 70 degrees Celsius and around 38 degrees Celsius when in standby mode. I heard there was major issues with Streams built in 2012?

14. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    What is this "Best Buys" you speak of? :)

15. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013