1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo transfer causing internet to not work.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Embowe, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1 of 27
    Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I have been looking for an answer to this for a little bit now with no avail, maybe you guys (and gals) can help me out. I currently have a Tivo Premier (TCD746500) and am trying to transfer video from my PC to the Tivo over my home network (wireless). Problem is that about 5 min after the transfer starts my wireless internet stops working but the transfer to the tivo continues. The internet will not work again until I reset my modem and router. I can transfer from the tivo to my PC without any issues though, which is what is puzzling me.

2. Oct 1, 2012 #2 of 27
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't know what the problem is, but try this.

Give your TiVo a fixed IP address outside of the range of addresses the router uses for DHCP.

Power down everything and then reboot, starting with the cable or DSL modem, then the router, then the computer, then the TiVo.

Can't hurt, might help.

3. Oct 1, 2012 #3 of 27
    Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I'll give that a try...weird thing is...if I try to use pyTivo it does the same thing, also I have tethered my tivo and computer to my cellphone to use the internet there...and it does the same thing...drops the internet...

4. Oct 1, 2012 #4 of 27
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it doesn't travel, it doesn't need DHCP, and if you eliminate the negotiation between router and client over which address to use, you reduce the number of things that can go wrong.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #5 of 27
    bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    What wireless router are you using? Have you modified any of the settings?

6. Oct 1, 2012 #6 of 27
    worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Check and see if there's a firmware update for your router.

7. Oct 2, 2012 #7 of 27
    Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I will check both...its an OLD router (wrt54g linksys off the top of my head) LOL

8. Oct 2, 2012 #8 of 27
    lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    You might consider upgrading that old Linksys with DD-WRT. I didn't see where you mentioned what kind of wireless you have on the Premeire end of it. Also, are you trying to "push" the video from the PC to the Tivo or just initianing the transfer from the Tivo "My Movies" folder? I use several of those old blue Linksys G routers - all upgraded with DD-WRT. Got one in repeater/bridge mode on my Premiere. Works great.

9. Oct 2, 2012 #9 of 27
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Look on the bottom and tell us what the label says after it says WRT54G

Stuff like S or L, maybe, and there should be a v followed by a number or so.

10. Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    its a wireless v8 ...

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    8.0, 8.1, or 8.2?

I think if it just says v8, that's what gets called 8.0 when 8.1 comes out, otherwise known as retronyming, kinda like how it wasn't until when the Series 2 TiVos came out that we knew the previous ones were Series 1s.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Before you go to dd-wrt, check with Linksys/Cisco to see if they have any firmware updates for your particular model.

That'll give you practice at flashing your router and you can read up on the open source versions at your leisure.

But somehow, I don't think your router is to blame for your sudden onset of problems unless there's something about the way you have it configured that needs changing.

13. Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I doubt its my router either, everything else in the house works fine.. 6 wireless connections to the router and 2 wired connections and all work without and issue..

Whats strange is that if I tether the tivo and the laptop I am transferring to/from to my internet from my cellphone...after about 5 min..it drops the internet on my cellphone as well, but the transfer still continues..

Its not THAT big of a deal to me...its just one of those things bugging me that I can't figure out...but really do apperciate the help you guys are throwing out there..

14. Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    A new day today...going to try again... going to hit the factory reset button on the router today and start from scratch...see if that makes a difference...

15. Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Ok...reset my router...still the same problem... Tried tethering to my phone, It was just the tivo and my laptop...after about 5 min of pushing files to my tivo...same problem..connection dropped... Is this a problem with my tivo? Or do I have something setup wrong?

On another note... What would it take to just hook up a cat5 cable to my tivo and my laptop and just transfer stuff that way? WITHOUT it hooked up to the internet.... Would I need to run it through a router (one that wouldn't be hooked up to net, I guess it would just act as a switch?)

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have the laptop and TiVo connected via Ethernet cable to the same router, it would probably be a lot easier than trying to connect them directly by means of a crossover cable (something the router does internally).

If you can put the router, the TiVo, and the laptop all in close proximity to each other it should work fine regardless of whether the router's WAN port is connected to the internet via "whatever" or not, as long as the TiVo and the laptop are both connected to the LAN ports.

17. Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Well thank you...now I have a new project tonight..LOL Time to dig in that old box of spare computer parts we all have somewhere in our house...

18. Embowe

Embowe New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The laptop, tivo and router are all next to each other, hooked up with ethernet cables and now I can't figure out the settings to get the laptop and the tivo to see each other...DAMN!

EDIT:

I can get the tivo to transfer files to the laptop through the router setup (would be like a wired bridge I assume) But can't get the tivo to see the laptop so that I can push files to it...going to give PyTivo a try with this setup and see what that does...

19. Adramelech

Adramelech New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Did you ever fix this? I have the SAME problem.

I have the SAME router you have. I had a Tivo Series 2 & a Tivo Premiere hooked up and it worked perfect. The transfer worked perfect.

Yesterday I got rid of the Tivo Series 2. I have a Tivo Premiere and just installed the Tivo Elite XL4 and am using the same router you are. Now I get the same problem you are getting.

When I start transferring my programs from one tivo box to the other my internet on my computer stops working but the transfer continues on my tivo.. but the internet connection also stops on my tivo.

If I unplug the modem and router and plug it back it, it's work for a while.. and then stops again.

20. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a stab in the dark, but have you tried turning off the firewall on the computer? It might be blocking the bonjour packets.