1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo to TiVo transfer help needed

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by betts4, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1 of 10
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I am trying to transfer shows from one TiVo to another.

It is a very complicated story, but basically I am about half way through the switchover of my old TiVo's to the two new ones.

TiVo Series 2 kitchen - working

TiVo HD Living room - working

TiVo Series 2 on shelf - just reactivated so I could do this.

TiVo Premiere - new out of box - activated but no m-cable card

I transferred shows from the kitchen TiVo to my living room one.

Then, unplugged the kitchen one, and moved the living room one in there. It is now working fine in there. No issues.

Then hooked the Premiere up in the living room. It is powered up and updated, but not connected to cable. Waiting for a comcast visit.

So I have all my shows on the HD in the kitchen and Premiere in Living room.

I thought - hey, I have till saturday when the guy brings the m-card so maybe I can pull the old OLD TiVo off the shelf and get any old shows off of that.

I took the G-wireless from the premiere, hooked it up to the old series 2 and got green lights. I then restarted the HD to see if I can get them to talk to each other and show the series 2 on the Now Playing section for transfers. ( I did call TiVo and get it reactivated).

It's not showing up.

I am not sure if I have them too close to each other - on the same table. Or need to do something else with the old series 2 - it is not attached to a tv at this point. Just plugged into the wall and with the wireless - no other cable or such in it. I didn't think they would need that if it was working thru the network - but maybe it's not and I am not sure how to get it to.

2. Jun 7, 2013 #2 of 10
    LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Try forcing both TiVos to call home. Sometimes a recently activated box can take up to 24 hours before MRV will work.

P.S. Do any of your Series 2s have lifetime subs?

3. Jun 7, 2013 #3 of 10
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    They both do.

What do you mean force them to call home? Like a restart?

Would you like to buy one? :)

4. Jun 7, 2013 #4 of 10
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its a Tivo Connection, go into the Network/phone settings menu and you can have it make a connection to Tivo for Guide data etc. Make sure you have your Media Access Key on that Tivo or it will not be able to transfer.

5. Jun 7, 2013 #5 of 10
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Also, check to make sure your newly re-activated Tivo has allowed permissions for downloads and transfers on your tivo.com account (under DVR Preferences).

6. Jun 9, 2013 #6 of 10
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

It's too late for you, but anyone else comtemplating doing this should know in advance (instead of learning the hard way, like I did), that transferring from one TiVo to another loses a lot of the meta-data, and the shows show up on the target TiVo with an air date of when you transferred them, not when they recorded, so you could wind up with a month's worth of The Daily Show or Tavis Smiley or whatever with each episode showing the same date.

Better to use TiVo Desktop (free version) and use a PC as a middleman, so as to keep most, if not all, of the meta-data, including the record date.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #7 of 10
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The free version of TD is not available any more.

8. Jun 9, 2013 #8 of 10
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It is if you know where to look...

Link

;)

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually 2.8.2 (which I use) is also available if you know the right person to PM.

:D

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Every version back to at least 2.5.1 is available with the right URL. Just change the last few numbers of the link Steve provided.