1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo to iPad

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Czachorski, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    Any hope of an iPad app that will stream / transfer content from the iTivo straight to the iPad?

I could accomplish this with existing tools via iTivo by going Tivo->download and transcode to the Mac->sync to the iPad. Would be nice to cut out the middle man, so to speak. Any hope for this? Is there anything like this for the iPhone now?

It would be ideal to skip the transcode and just be able to play Tivo files natively on the iPad.

2. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    TiVo won't do it. A Slingbox will do it on iPhone and will probably have an app for the iPad soon.

3. AandFDakota2001

AandFDakota2001 New Member

Sep 6, 2008
    West...
    Another option that I have used a long time ago is a program called Orb. Should be able to do a Google Search on it, but it had the ability to automatically transfer files from your TiVo to your computer and then stream the TiVo files straight to your mobile device. There's an iPhone app for Orb too. It's been quite some time since I did this so it may not be the same anymore. It's not direct, but you don't have to be home to do it.

4. Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    Thanks for the slingbox tip. I researched it all afternoon, and this seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I went to BB a few hours ago and bought one, and its working great so far. Does exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again!

5. flaminiom

flaminiom New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Holt, MI
    When sling puts out an iPad version I'll probably pick it up. Too cool.

Still, a Tivo app would be better if you could transfer in the background rather than occupying the Tivo.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    I thought that the iPad was able to run all iPod/iPhone apps?

7. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    It should, but maybe a newly written app would take advantage of the increased resolution rather than just pixel doubling.

8. Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    I'm actually not too worried about that. I think that the iPod resolution will look just fine doubled to take up the iPads screen size.

As a test, I took a movie that I imported with handbrake at iPod resolution and opened it on my computer and doubled the window size, and it looked great. Even at full screen on my 24" iMac it looked acceptable. Very watchable.

I too hope that sling recognizes the great market that the iPad may represent for them, and puts out an iPad app that makes use of the full resolution. In the mean time, I am expecting that I will be happy running the iPhone app at double size.

9. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Enjoy it while it lasts. In-app purchases can be tied to individual devices, so look for future paid updates to happen as in app purchases :(

I'll probably skip every other version and just re-buy so I can continue to use apps on multiple devices, but I look for things with the iPad to get interesting.

10. Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    I'm fully expecting to have to pay $30 when/if sling comes out with a dedicated iPad app. In the mean time, the existing iPhone app (if it runs on the iPad) should suit me just fine - if they offer me any in-app paid updates, I'll just skip them.

11. Joe3

Joe3 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Watching movies on every screen including IPad is getting a little much. When does a new idea get old fast? When you keep saying and thinking the same old ideas should be put on every new device.

However since IPad is on the coffee table anyway, why not turn it into a super remote as well as e-periodical and get rid of all the other clutter!

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    there are iPhone apps for remote control that would work on the iPad. So that is happening. As far as the movies on every screen - sure if I bought every device out there then likely having movies on all of them would be overkill. I personally plan on just buying the gadgets that fit my needs and being to watch video on a device meant for video is one of those needs on what I buy. I do not plan to buy an iPad for other reasons, mainly cost versus what it does

13. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    I would love an iPad app (WiFi Only) that will allow MRV for all TiVo recorded (not live) video.

TiVo would get a lot of press, as the cable companies DVR's do not have that. (yet)

14. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    The iPad won't play TiVo's mpeg transfers, they will have to be transcoded and put into iTunes for syncing. There are already third party apps to do this (like iTivo).

15. Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    Yeah, but I don't like the transcoding. It interjects an intermediary step in the process that requires pre-planning of what shows you want on the iPad. I want to be laying in bed, and be able to instantly watch anything on my Tivo on the iPad. The slingbox is a perfect solution for that.

If Tivo wanted to impress me with Premier, they would have included the ability to device shift and place shift more easily. My dream is to have complete and instant exchange of content between my Tivo, my Mac, my iPhone, the web and now an iPad, all wrapped up in an elegant user interface, like only Tivo and Apple can do. If Tivo would have done that, I would think they were visionary and re-inventive. I guess you can tell that I am not too impressed with their direction, or Premier. That being said, I will be a lifelong customer, because what they do, they do well.

16. javabird

javabird Active Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    It sounds like what you want is an AppleTV, instead of a Tivo, which will do this.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    simply put - the Apple solution is to pay for the convenience requested and pay per show.

18. Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    That's why I don't like their business model. Tivo + cable + slingbox is far more cost efficient, given the number of shows we watch.

If Apple can come up with a subscription model for access to all the shows that I can currently get on cable, for a price that is competitive with cable, then I will dump my Tivo for Apple TV. Trouble is, I don't see the bottleneck being Apple, as much as it is the content providers right now. But like the dinosaurs, they too will be extinct soon.

19. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Would it be an app for the iPad? or would you just go to watch.slingbox.com?