1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo To Calendar - Adding upcoming recordings to Google Calendar

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by svms, Jul 20, 2011.

1. svms

svms Mike

Jul 20, 2011
    Hey all,

I'm new to the TiVo community forums an apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum for this posting.

I wrote a tool that works on Windows 7 / Vista that automatically adds upcoming TiVo recordings to Google Calendar. It's at wishicouldsoftware.com.

For years, I kept asking my wife, "What shows are recording tonight?" For some time now, I've been using Google calendar which sends an email each morning with everything in my calendar for the day. One day I thought "I Wish I Could have my TiVo recordings appear in my calendar so that I can see what's recording that day in my morning email." I also wanted the tool to be able to run periodically without me having to do anything. And let me just add certain types of shows that I want in my calendar and be notified of them before the show starts. This comes in handy when a live sporting event or awards show is recording so that you can have a better chance to watch it before finding out the results online or from a friend or relative calling.

If interested, please try it out. I'd really like to get your feedback.

2. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
  3. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    No series 2 support please add that to post.
  4. Fofer

Fofer Say what? TC Club

Oct 29, 2000
    That's pretty darn cool, svms! I'm a Mac user myself, but stuff like this is very much appreciated. It's a compelling idea and it looks like you've accomplished the trick rather nicely.

You'll probably get a better response if you post this into the TiVo Underground as well. That's where lots of coders share work such as this.
  5. svms

svms Mike

Jul 20, 2011
    @Fofer... Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion. I'll do that.

@Tobashadow... The app supports all of the upcoming recordings that show up on the TiVo To-Do pages on the TiVo web site (sorry, the newsgroup won't let me include the link). I'm not aware of exactly what boxes that refers to, but my understanding is that is all boxes that send their recording data into the central server (and I thought that Series 2 does that, no?).
  6. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
  7. ybtrue

ybtrue New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    My Norton is not allowing me to download the file (tivotocal-install.exe). It is giving me the message "This Insight Network Threat has been removed." (WS.Reputation.1)
  8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    This sounds like an interesting program. I'll need to give it a try this weekend. thanks!
  9. svms

svms Mike

Jul 20, 2011
    I encountered the same problem with Norton on my machine. As a user, I find that functionality useful knowing that the antivirus software is looking out for me. But it should at least give me the option to run something and not block it because not enough people have run it yet or the web site is too new.

I wrote the tool myself and Norton doesn't have the problem with the installer file prior to uploading it the server via FTP, but when downloaded via the web page Norton doesn't like it.

Norton has a process for resolving this issue which I have initiated and it may take some time (they say maybe 2 weeks). In the meantime, please try downloading on another machine or disable Norton or use a different Norton setting if you can figure out how.
  10. astrohip

astrohip Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Just installed this. Seriously wonderful software!

11. lafos

lafos New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I like this a lot. It tells me which TiVo is recording and even grabs the show description. Very nice.

It did seem flustered when I selected "All TiVos" and did not populate the calendar. I'm working my way through one by one. Has anyone had success with multiple TiVos?
  12. astrohip

astrohip Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Slight problem. The program works, my calendar is populated, but...

I'm not getting the daily email. I *definitely* have selected the "Daily Agenda" email at 5am. Any clues?
  13. xclgreen

xclgreen New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Ohh, great. Thanks for the information.
  14. svms

svms Mike

Jul 20, 2011
    Google's Daily Agenda email seems to be working for me, but has been very flaky in the past and may be acting up again. Here's a link (one of many I suppose) about it.
  15. muzzymate

muzzymate New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Thank you so much for this software!

It's working great on my Windows Home Server box (based on Windows Server 2003). Looks to be properly populating my calendar with all the recordings from my two Premieres.
  16. djl25

djl25 C64 hacker

May 26, 2005
    I apologize to svms for a small threadjack, but if your series 2 is hacked you can get similar functionality from the latest versions of Tivowebplus. There's a module called ToDoFeed which provides an iCal-formatted list of your scheduled recordings, directly from the Tivo itself.
  17. waterchange

waterchange New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mike, thanks for the tool. Seems really useful especially in a google calendar format where I can toggle on/off which calendars I'm viewing.

Hate to even bring this up but being a paranoid developer, have you given though to posting sources? A small part of me worries about entering login/password information for two private accounts w/o being able to confirm that they won't be collected by some nefarious third party..
  18. appleye1

appleye1 New Member

Jan 26, 2002
    I really like this software too, but one thing really bugs me. You can't seem to collect data from multiple Tivos automatically.

If you select "All Tivo Boxes" it doesn't work. It runs every so often and says it's collecting data and updating the calendar, but in fact nothing happens. I've got three Tivos that I want to update my calendar from and I don't want to have to do each one manually.

And while somebody is fixing that :D, I wonder if it's possible to fix another thing that bugs me. Right now you can select one Tivo or all Tivos (if that worked that is.) I'd like to be able to select something in between. I have 5 Tivos on my account, but one of them is my wife's and the another one is my daughter's. I really only want my 3 Tivos on my calendar. Currently there is no way to do that without doing each one manually.
  19. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Safe to assume this wont run under XP? Got it working under 7 but wanted to use it on my home server, which is XP.
  20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Does your PC have to be running 24/7 for this to be useful? What if you typically run it through the daytime hours but shut down at night? Does this run as a service?