1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"TiVo Thinks I'm Gay" article

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kirbylile, Feb 15, 2006.

1. kirbylile

kirbylile Now Playing

Nov 24, 2002
    Atlanta
    Does anyone have the classic Jeffrey Zaslow article in "The Wall Street Journal" from December 2002 entitled "Oh No! My TiVo Thinks I'm Gay" or a link to it somewhere?

I want a friend to read it -- he has had TiVo for 6 months now, and is starting to ask me more serious questions about how to use TiVo -- no longer a newbie and starting to realize what TiVo can do.

Many thanks
    Kirby
    Atlanta

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    This one?

http://www.planetdan.net/blog/tivo.html
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~risa1410/neatstuff/profiling.html'

A slightly different version:

3. kirbylile

kirbylile Now Playing

Nov 24, 2002
    Atlanta
    That's it. Thanks!

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    My TiVo KNOWS I'm not gay.

5. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Wasn' t there an episode of "The King Of Queens" that was about this topic?

I'm not gonna mention Leah Remini.

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Read the 5th paragraph of the article I quoted above.

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Patton Oswald (who is on KOQ) has a routine about that in his stand-up act as well.

8. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    D'oh! :eek:

9. jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    My wife's uncle got TiVO and he called me up for help. The funny thing is, he must have gotten a refurb. He doesn't have any SPs set up yet, but he has tons of suggestions recorded of Children's programming, and almost nothing else. I walked him through a "Clear and Delete Everything". It was pretty funny.

10. rlc1

rlc1 Frakking idiot

Sep 15, 2003
    Plaistow, NH
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I'll recommend "TiVo for Dummies" for your friend. It's a great introduction to how to get the most out of TiVo. I served as technical editor for it, so you can blame any mistakes on me.

12. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Not necessarily a refurb (unless all those suggestions were on the TiVo when he got it) -- TiVo seems to favor children's and family programming with its "default" suggestions, and so if nothing's been given a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, it'll happily keep recording as much of that as possible.

13. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The last TiVo I got didn't seem to record any suggestions until I rated something.

14. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    My brand-new Humax unit seems to have a FOX-fetish. It likes to record FOX programs of all sorts (The Simpsons, King of the Hill) despite the fact that I don't watch them, nor do I watch anything similar.

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Before I got 7.2, half or more of my suggestions were preschool kids shows.
    Since, it has been Futurama, KOTH, Daily Show, and some PBS DIY stuff (which is SP on my other TiVo). It even recorded a Bob Hope film on its own (I had previously recorded a Hope-Crosby Road picture).

16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
  17. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  18. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Who needs this crap (unless they enjoy it)?

Personally, I'll never tell!

19. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Ha! Personally I long ago shut off suggestions. They're just not useful to me. I already know what I like, and I DON'T want repeats of stuff I've already watched.

Theoretically I'd like it, but honestly a human being would have a hard time picking out suggestions for me. I guess family members could do a decent job (I get a call from my mom from time to time asking if I know about a show, and usually set it up to record)-but a machine?

EDIT: Also, because I record a couple of what are technically children's shows, it would record all this other junk for me. It did occasionally grab something good-like the News Hour on PBS, but then I don't watch it because of time (even though in an ideal world I'd watch it every day)...so, basically worthless.

20. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    My TiVo thinks I'm its prior owner.
    :eek: !