1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo that hasn't been used for a couple years

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bebw, May 26, 2013.

1. bebw

bebw New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I have a Tivo that was working when I unplugged it but haven't had time to set it up again. It's been over a year, probably two years:confused:. Is it likely I will have difficulty? It's so hard to do all the set up, I thought I'd ask ahead of time.

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    What model is it and does it have lifetime?

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Did you move and/or now have a different service provider? If not, just plug it in and force a connection to the Tivo servers. Otherwise you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything and then run Guided Setup again. It's not hard, it just takes time. All that being said, if the box doesn't have active Tivo service (i.e.: it's not a lifetime box) then it's a moot point and I wouldn't waste my time with it.

4. bebw

bebw New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    It's the Humax one. I have lifetime on it. My other two Tivos died.

I changed tv's and had trouble getting Tivo to work with the cable box and rv transmitters and procastinated on putting it all back together. Now it's been over a year, maybe two.

I was out of town for a year and I remember it took me forever to get the Tivo to start up again. I think they may not only download programming but perhaps updates to software like computers. Not sure but was wondering if anyone had done this and there was an easy way..haha :D

5. bebw

bebw New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Oh, CLEAR AND DELETE...I didn't do that before. Perhaps that was the problem. Maybe I have to wipe everything out and do guided set up again.

- Once you get used to watching TV with Tivo, it's not the same. I rarely watch TV since I unplugged my Tivo.

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    You don't have to do a clear and delete to change providers.

It does take a while to do updates if it hasn't been plugged in for a while. The fastest way to get updates is direct connect ethernet, but you would need a USB adapter to ethernet to do that with a DVD TiVo. I was told that all Humax Tivos have a software problem that writing to DVDs can be a problem sometimes, and the software was never fixed.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    If you end up getting a s03 then you may have to do a clear and delete program data. That usually takes an hour or so.