1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo teams up with Paypal.....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by aadam101, Jun 12, 2012.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
  2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Perhaps this will require the newer models of TiVos to work, thus making the older ones even more valuable as they won't be subjected to the ads.:D

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    TiVo already has my credit card, so I'm not sure why they need PayPal.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Why would broadcasters have a problem with it? If it makes commercials actually work then they become more valuable. Thus, broadcasters would love it.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Good idea. See a movie advertised in showcases, you're able to buy the ticket right then.
    I commented to TiVo through one of their surveys that I'd like to see more use of the Showcases by advertising new movies and upcoming TV shows.
    Hopefully they are taking my advice. :p

The only thing I know of is Amazon VOD where you can rent or purchase movies and TV for the Tivo.

6. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    They have my card too......the one that was in effect when I purchased lifetime service. Can't buy anything with that now though.

7. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Wasn't there some stupid thing where you could order pizza or something?

8. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    How many partnerships has Tivo announced in the past that never amounted to anything? Butt if this actually happens, it could be interesting....I actually click quite a few of their free offers....might be tempted to click some pay ones, too.

9. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Lol! Tivo can't figure out how to make their mobile apps work properly with anything older than a Premier...but something tells me that if this Paypal deal happens, it will work in almost every model except the most ancient. Where there a will, there is a way.......

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It seems TiVo may or may not have done this. I honestly don't remember it ever happening. I think I only remember the announcement. Can anyone confirm if this actually happened?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326249,00.asp

11. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I've used the Amazon VOD a couple of times but not recently so don't know if anything has changed. It required going into your Amazon account and setting things up so when the request came through your Tivo it would automatically get billed to your Amazon account. Doesn't sound like quite the same deal as the PayPal thing.

12. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Yes it did happen for very very brief period of time. When watching a TV commercial a thumbs up would appear in the upper right-hand corner, when you hit the thumbs up button, it took you to a screen where you could buy the product. It was not a great experience. It was a little bit like hitting a bullet, with a bullet. You had to have an Amazon account, linked to your TiVo, with one click enabled. One click is not enabled by default because it lets you bypass the checkout process.

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    See the link in post #10. The Paypal thing is very similar to the Amazon thing that no longer exists.

14. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ah, ok, I was fixating on the Amazon VOD thing, not on the ability to buy other products.

15. shipspeed

shipspeed New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    yeah, wouldn't it be easier for tivo to bill my credit card on files vs. entering in my paypal credentials?