1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo support has been nasty recently; a sign of things to come under new ownership?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Sparky1234, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Member

May 8, 2006
    Anyone else had a bad experience with TiVo support lately?

Not responsive to emails, help posts or phone service on 3 different TiVo issues in the last month; the trifecta of a company in decline.

2. FubarJeb

FubarJeb New Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I think it depends on who you get. I called their billing department twice on Dec 13, 2016 and both reps were very nice and professional with me. Also, I was getting ready to cancel my monthly no commit plan on my TiVo OTA (500GB) and the first rep offered me an all in plan for $149.99.

So, I haven't had any issues with them, and I'm happy that their call center that is not overseas.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I had a very friendly sales call with the telephone sales people earlier this month--almost like talking to a neighbor, even gossiping about consumers a bit, and with no time pressure. Well, yep, the sales agent got a sale, but I also for a good promotion deal (as listed online) but further with a nice extra thrown in.

4. alex_h

alex_h New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Fort...
    I called in to cancel my Premier, Rep went into the retention pitch, "Why are you cancelling?" I asked her if she had my account up, she said yes, I asked her if she saw the new Roamio on there... while she canceled it, we chatted about the White Sale and how great it was. Super friendly.

Very nice. I still think I should be able to de-activate out of contract Tivo's without a call in, but I guess they wanted a chance to sell me on Lifetime for $99 to keep it going...

JBDragon likes this.
  5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I would ad we have had cox ondemand issues since 20.6.3 was installed/loaded and support has been friendly, but waiting on engineering to fix whatever the issue is or to say if it is not an issue they can fix it taking the most time.

6. lmacmil

lmacmil Member

Oct 26, 2015
    I called in today to deactivate my extra Roamio. The experience was quite acceptable. Instead of deactivating it, she suggested I continue with its monthly plan for 2 months and they would suspend the payments while I looked for a buyer (see my ad in the For Sale/Ebay section.) She gave me a case # and said to give that to the buyer so he/she could transfer the service to their account. All very professional.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Chats been pretty good for me. They are surprisingly knowledgeable. Of course there is only so much they can do themselves. Still stuck on 28 E channel feeds here on the west coast for over a month now.

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    For many years I had ALL excellent experiences with Tivo customer service. I was always pleased and impressed. They were always kind, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Then, around a year or so ago, I noticed a huge change. I got one guy was just flat out rude. There is no reason to be rude because I was not rude to him. I had no reason to be, as I'm a decent and thoughtful person. But he was seriously just an ahole.

I got people who had no idea what they were doing. I would have to explain things to them that they should have known.

Now that we know what has happened, I think the changes had already started well before we knew something was changing. Just dealing with all this Rovi guide data stuff is enough to speak loudly to the fact that the changes aren't good. After all these months, there should not still be all these ridiculous guide data problems.

I was saying, in one of the other sub-forums here, that I submitted a ticket about a guide data problem. Fourteen days later, I get an email acknowledging the report I filed. Just to acknowledge it! It had the usual (which used to actually be the case) rhetoric about 'they are working on it and it should be fixed in 3-5 days' or whatever. I'll bet any amount of money that it won't be fixed in 3-5 days.

Since this is a problem that isn't getting in my way, I just did the report, instead of emailing Margret, to see if things are getting better and if it will be taken care of in some reasonable period of time. I don't expect that, but then that reasonable period of time has already passed before anybody even acknowledged the report I sent.

So, yeah, sign of things to come or just sign of things that are already here and not going away any time soon.

tmdublin likes this.
  9. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Member

May 8, 2006

Concur with your comments:

I've been with TiVo for 14 years now and have owned 7-8 lifetime boxes plus Minis. Where's the loyalty? Oh that's right, people are loyal, companies are in it for the profit.

I'm 2 months out on a Guide issue and a Mini issue that is still in pending / no response from TiVo.

Tried to call TiVo and discuss more upgrades to my current equipment but ran afoul of corporate greed, incompetence, passing the buck - employees not empowered, no call backs, hour plus hold times most of the time, Cox Contour is looking TERRIFIC right about now. TiVo is losing sales and market share with their current corporate climate.

Good luck getting anything responsive from TiVo. Service / support has been awful to me!!! The good people that used work at TiVo are now harder and harder to find.

I started this post to get a sense of what others are experiencing with TiVo lately AND not complain but I'm finding it hard to hold back.

run1stride2nd likes this.
  10. alarson83

alarson83 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    West Des...
    yeah, they definitely used to be more responsive.

Now one of my channels (the local ABC affiliate) lost skipmode, and they havent done anything to fix it, despite me raising it as an issue. They only ask for individual episodes to 'fix'

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Looks like the person hired to do that marking has been out holiday shopping . . . .

12. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Member

May 8, 2006
    Probably fired for being too competent.

13. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I think the skip is only on per episode basis. Also i think skip will only work after the episode has finished recording plus they have had time to upload the skip points to the service and your tivo has downloaded it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Correct.

15. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    As a new TiVo customer I can't say they have been nasty, just useless. I had a chat with the chat support today - he was very clear they are not trained on anything more than basic settings in the UI. He claimed the L2 support above him was the same.

I have had better success with telephone support who logged the issue, but they still have never solved anything for me.

16. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    It depends who you talk to. The usual CSR roulette. You can easily tell the tenured TiVo reps right from the start. Easily distinguishable from Rovi cueless folks

17. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    I cannot say how bad they are now. I really just do not call them anymore. No real need to, they can't fix anything other than some extremely simple thing. Don't bother talking to them about "their network". They will just try to blame it on YOUR local network...LOL. L2 support used to exist, but you cannot get to them anymore. Chat and email agents have always been and it seems from the above comments that they still are USELESS...:rolleyes::D

The Tivo has come a long way since I got my first XL4 in 05/2012. When I replaced it with my Roamio Pro in 10/2013, it came with 20.3.6.6 (I started to keep a log when I got the RP so I do not remember the releases on the XL4). Many improvements since then (of course some of the improvements were fixes to the things they screwed up programwise), but still they lack the imagination of a few of the features of the Comcast X1 (I hope I never have to revert to that!). For me, you cannot beat the Guide format or Q-mode and S-mode and of course all tuners continually buffering (should be 60 minutes though). I have my major bitches and have many stories of Tivo, Inc tech support, but I will spare you all.

Finally I have to say that I shudder to think of what the software was like for some of these people who have had their tivos for 10-15 years...:eek::confused::oops::rolleyes::D

PLUS THE TIVO IS NEITHER FREE OR CHEAP!!! :):D

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I read comments like this a lot here, as someone who had and still has an 11+ year-old lifetimed Series 2 box (along with a Roamio), and all I can tell you is, it just works. I guess you might see it as a Craigslist vs. eBay sort of thing, but it does the job and the core of what makes a TiVo a TiVo is there. What I miss most in the Series 2 is multi-tuners--my Series 2 only has 1. And skipmode would be nice, but my 30-second skip is a good second best. Also, I do find the Slide Pro Remote illumination as cool and its RF capability and learning mode as nice. Oh, and the faster speed of the modern units is welcome.

And now, what do I miss in the Roamio? Well, my Series 2 is a Toshiba box that has a built-in DVD/CD player/DVD recorder--very handy to have in a single box and it eliminates yet another box, remote and separate interface. It really has been this feature that has kept me wedded to the unit--a feature that I always had hoped would return. Also, my Series 2 has a display and actual controls (remember those?) on its front, mostly for the DVD player but including TiVo and select buttons, very handy for navigating at the box when the remote is 10' away at the couch. And my Series 2 has an input to record from external devices, such as from a VCR--not used by me much but still nice, especially in the past.

And, of course, I can't forget a nice amortized benefit of the Series 2: its current (and still declining) amortized $28/year lifetime subscription cost. :)

19. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It depends on what one wants, I have a functioning Series 2, Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere, base Roamio, & Bolt sitting in front of me. The Series 2 unit is certainly slower but the software work fine because it was focused on being a DVR, the Series 3 & TiVo HD are excellent at being DVRs fast and very few issues. The problems started when TiVo decided they needed a modern HD UI on the Premiere, it sucked plain and simple the hardware could not deal with it, the complete rewrite and change in programing language in 2014 fixed some of that on the Premiere but the focus on non DVR functions (streaming apps) has and still is causing way to many issues. There is a allot to be said for simple and the current UI is anything but.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  20. alex_h

alex_h New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Fort...
    To each their own, we LOVE the streaming App and One Pass. With our Premier, we were switching to the Roku to stream, Hulu would freeze on Tivo, etc. We DVR shows, but sometimes something goes wrong (or pre-empted by weather/news) and we streamed it. The "Explore this show" was decent... but One Pass is awesome.

My wife is watching a show on Amazon Prime/Hulu/Netflix? Add it to One Pass, and it's available the same as DVR'd shows. No longer dealing with UI issues.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016