1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Suggestion Not Working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 1200n, May 29, 2008.

1. May 29, 2008 #1 of 371
    1200n

1200n New Member

May 29, 2008
    My Tivo has been acting very strange. Last week I noticed that it was not recording any Tivo Suggestions. I checked the Tivo Suggestions area to see what was in the queue and to my surprise the list was no longer and just the default instructions and tutorial. I decided I would peform the "clear and delete everything" option and start from scratch. That didn't work.

Well I called Tivo today and they said it was not a hardware issue but a software issue and their recommendation is to take a "wait and see" approach until the end of July when the next update is issued.

I thought this was a horrible answer and asked if I could get a new unit. Of course they would send me one for $49. I said "no thanks" since I find it unfair that they are making me pay for a mistake caused by their software engineers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, did you find a solution. BTW, this a dual tuner, non-HD model.

Thanks !

2. May 29, 2008 #2 of 371
    dsmith6281

dsmith6281 New Member

May 28, 2008
    i have lots of stuff in deleted items that are not going away as well.
    this is unacceptable. suggestions is one of the main reasons to get a tivo

3. May 29, 2008 #3 of 371
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I hope you're joking. This has nothing to do with a TiVo not recording suggestions.

Recordings in the Deleted Items folder get emptied only when your machine need space to record something else.

4. May 29, 2008 #4 of 371
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    How many recordings do you have saved up? Remember that your TiVo will only record a suggestion if there's space available. It will never trash an item even if it's scheduled to be deleted to make room for another scheduled recording.

Edit: Also, double check your recording setting to verify that you will automatically record suggestions.

5. May 30, 2008 #5 of 371
    dsmith6281

dsmith6281 New Member

May 28, 2008
    i've had this tivo for almost a year and the deleted items go away by themselves, as new suggestions get recorded. this is not happening any more.

multiple calls to tivo.
    multiple restarts.
    clearing of the thumbs up recommendations.

i used to get 10-20 suggestions recorded every day. now one every day or two if that.

shouldnt it be permanently deleting the items to make room for suggestions?

6. May 30, 2008 #6 of 371
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    My point was that if your box decides it wants to record a suggestion it will dump the deleted items to make room. I'm guessing that it doesn't want to record for any number of reasons - a full DI folder not being one of them.

Empty the DI folder yourself to see if it starts recording stuff - I'm thinking it won't.

7. Jun 2, 2008 #7 of 371
    dsmith6281

dsmith6281 New Member

May 28, 2008
    understood.
    i only even mention the DI because the first thing people say is that you may be out of space, which i'm not.

i manually permanently deleted half of them and still no suggestions.

any ideas?
    this started happening a few weeks ago, shortly after the 9.3 update

8. Jun 9, 2008 #8 of 371
    Phasers

Phasers New Member

May 28, 2008
    I'm having the same issue here... my last suggestion was recorded as of 6/3.

I tried disabling tivo suggestions, restarting, then enabling tivo suggestions and restarting again... been a few hours and still nothing.

9. Jun 15, 2008 #9 of 371
    argylega

argylega New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I have pretty much the same problem. My unit is brand new (the HD unit). I definitely don't have it recording so much stuff that it doesn't have room for suggestions. I've been marking things as favorites, giving thumbs up to shows, channels, etc. Still absolutely nothing. I've double-checked to make sure that it *IS* turned on to record suggestions as well. I've had it for about a week, and it hasn't recorded a single suggestion. Starting to get annoying.

10. Jun 22, 2008 #10 of 371
    RedDelorean

RedDelorean New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I've seen the same precipitous decline in Tivo Suggestions. For me this is a big selling point for the Tivo in the first place; otherwise, I could get a vanilla, dumb DVR anywhere.

11. Jun 22, 2008 #11 of 371
    pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I can honestly say that in all the years that I have used TiVo in one manner or another I think I may have got one or two shows that I liked. I stopped using suggestions because it does nothing but show me every rerun of every Law & Order, Cops, CSI, etc.

So if this was a big selling point for you, trust me. At first I thought it was so cool but it only took me about 6 months before I turned it off. YMMV

12. Jun 23, 2008 #12 of 371
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Did they tweak the suggestions algorithm? What happens if you thumbs up a lot of shows that are similar to what you're interested in Suggestions recording?

I know that over the past year, our TiVos record very few suggestions, and only a few items show up in the Suggestions page. Which is fine by us... I like having the deleted shows around longer so we can recover them when needed.

Be careful what you wish for! Several years back, Suggestions would seem to record everything under the sun.

In any event, what shows up when look at the Suggestions set up page itself? (Or whatever that's called... IIRC, you get there by pressing 8 when you're looking at the main menu)

13. Jun 24, 2008 #13 of 371
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    has anyone who's had the "suggestions not recording at all" problem gotten suggestions to work?

I'm not interested in debating the value of the suggestion function, just if there has be a solution found. the tivo web site said;
    http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/networking/TiVo_Suggestions_Are_Not_Being_Recorded.html
    I've just done this but still get the welcome screen in the list of suggestion page. It says to check back in 'a few hours'. I've got a S3.

eta; this process did work. It did take a few hours after the last restart but suggestions are now being recorded.

14. Jul 12, 2008 #14 of 371
    Padwen

Padwen New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    My Series 2, which I recently did an "erase everything" reset on, is having the same problems. For a week it would not record any suggestions, and the Suggestions screen only showed the instructions on how to give thumbs ratings to shows. After doing a "clear thumbs and suggestions" reset and giving some programs a thumbs up/down, it scheduled a couple suggestions after about 4 hours. Over the next two weeks it recorded a total of 4 suggestions, and I have lots and lots of free room (50+ hours). It hasn't recorded a suggestion in the past week.

I liked suggestions! I want them back!

15. Jul 13, 2008 #15 of 371
    Mary Lucy Lou

Mary Lucy Lou New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    My Tivo is not recording suggestions either. We have almost nothing recorded, so the memory isn't full. We have restarted the Tivo. We reset the Tivo in mid-June.

Is there a software fix for this?

16. Jul 13, 2008 #16 of 371
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I don't think your TiVo is broken. Try giving some of the stuff you have recorded (or happen to be watching live) a Thumbs Up :up: and see what happens. I seen to remember that Season Passes automatically apply a Thumbs rating so you should get suggestions based on SPs.

17. Jul 13, 2008 #17 of 371
    sgreen0

sgreen0 New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Just adding my 2 cents.

My Tivo 2 stopped recording suggestions some time ago. I've reset Suggestion setting, rebooted and reset it again - no luck.

Was there a recent update that may have caused this?

Stephen

18. Jul 13, 2008 #18 of 371
    Padwen

Padwen New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    I think I shamed my TiVo by posting here yesterday, as it recorded four suggestions last night.

19. Jul 13, 2008 #19 of 371
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    it took a bunch of hours after my last reastart (turn suggestions off,reboot, turn on, reboot) for suggestions to appear in (find a program etc) the tivo suggestions page.

20. Jul 21, 2008 #20 of 371
    jilter

jilter Happy to be here.

Oct 4, 2002
    My Tivo stopped recording Suggestions a few months ago as well.