1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Stream with Ethernet Switch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Kyoootee, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    Can A Tivo Stream be attached to my network with an Ethernet Switch. And if so, would 100mbps transfer rate be sufficient enough?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes and yes. A Stream can actually be attached anywhere on your network. It does NOT have to be anywhere near the TiVo itself.

Basically what a Stream does is it acts like another TiVo and starts an MRV stream, it then intercepts that, transcodes it to H.264 and passes it along to the iPad. It doesn't care where on your network it's located as long as it can talk to the source TiVo and the iPad.

3. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    I have the Stream on an Ethernet switch. but can not get past step 4 in the setup. "problem testing stream" thought the switch was the problem!

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. You should look at your router and see if the Stream has picked up an IP address. If it has then open your browser and go to...

http://<stream IP>:49152/sysinfo

You should get a web page with some system information about the stream. If you can't access that then pull the plug on the stream and wait for it to reboot then try again.

5. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    I am being told by a Tivo agent that it needs to be hook directly to the router. switches are not a supported method of connection

6. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    That person is wrong...

7. Mike1973

Mike1973 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I've got mine on a switch and it works fine. I did have a problem with the initial setup, not working on step 4. I went into the settings and forced a call and it downloaded an update. After a reboot, it worked fine.

8. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    you are referring to the actual Tivo premiere and force a call to update correct?

9. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    I am able to access the system info of the stream in my browser, no problem there! Now Tivo tells me my TCP ports may be blocked. I am with Verizon DSL in CA.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TCP ports it uses are all internal so they shouldn't be blocked. I guess it's possible they're being used by some other device and it's causing intefference, but that's highly unlikely. Try forcing a call on the Stream and see if it downloads an update. You can do that from the system info screen in the app or via that web page I pointed out.

11. Mike1973

Mike1973 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Nope, there is an option deep in the stream menus (not sure where off the top of my head) to force a call on the stream.

12. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    You Guys are Awesome!!!! I did the force call on the Stream and hooked it up to my ethernet switch and its working just fine now. The Tivo Agents were no help at all, they sending me in the totally wrong direction. I should have come here first!!

Thanks Again!!!

13. shled

shled New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    My Stream is running version 19.1.1-01-6
    Am I even close to current?

If not, who do I have to sleep with to get it current, and how long does it take?

14. Kyoootee

Kyoootee New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Diamond...
    If you are female, send me your picture and I can help you and it won't take long....just kidding;)

My Stream updated to 19.1.1-01-6 also! Dated Nov 12, 2012. So Looks like we have the latest version.

15. shled

shled New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    LOL, thank you, that is the same as my version.
    Good to know I'm current.

If you were female, maybe :)

16. hazelnus111

hazelnus111 New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I agree completely. I had my Premiere 4 connected to the router via Actiontec 500mbps Powerline ethernet adapter but could not get my new Stream to finish Step 4 of the setup with it connected directly to the router as instructed in the setup guide.

I then moved the Stream next to the Premiere 4 and connected them to an ethernet switch that then connected to the Powerline adapter. Worked immediately and has worked perfectly since.

Of note, we only have 1 iOS device (Ipad) in the house, so perhaps I would possibly have issues if I was trying simultaneous streams with multiple devices using this setup.