1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Stream vs. Slingbox 350 out of home video quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by noone3000, Nov 11, 2013.

1. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Tivo Stream vs. Slingbox 350 out of home video quality

Which has better video quality on a comparable LTE connection?

Please comment.

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Cannot do TiVo on LTE, yet.

I do not have slingbox, but the TiVo on a mediocre wifi signal is pretty good. I can see artifacts, but very watchable.

3. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Slingbox 350 by leaps and bounds. I would imagine that their years of experience with adaptive streaming tech are at play here.

The remote navigation "lag" on slingbox can be a bit annoying, but does not significantly detract from the viewing experience.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Especially for low bandwidth conditions, the Slingbox does a MUCH better job. I just tried that out first hand yesterday. See this post:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9890301#post9890301

However, the Stream solution has the advantage that you can download and let it buffer for a few minutes and then start watching. In that case you can get good picture quality and instant control response. However the problem is that OOH downloads currently pause every few minutes and have to be re-started for some annoying reason. If TiVo fixes that problem then I'd be happy with OOH solution compared to Slingbox and laggy control problem.

Also note that for in home use the Slingbox can output 1080p video vs the 720p for Stream solution, and of course control lags are much less within home compared to out.

So I'd say in general if you can afford to have both then you get to enjoy the advantages of each.

5. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I figured this to be the case.

I was planning on buying either a Stream or Slingbox 350 to use with my iPad which will be connected to my personal hotspot on my iPhone 5.

Since the Stream is now only $70 at Best Buy, I was wondering if it could equal the $150 Slingbox 350.

I plan on streaming live sports such as football for the most part.

Will the Stream work through a tethered connection?

6. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes, since your iPad will be connected to a wifi connection (which OOH streaming currently requires). For live sports though, I would go with the Slingbox unless you know for a fact that your desired sports channels are not restricted by the CCI bit nonsense. If your provider locks down these channels, you would not be able to view them OOH on a Tivo Stream.

7. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I wonder if the NFL Network is affected. I may buy both and audition them and return what I don't like, although it sounds pretty likely I'll be returning the Stream.

Stream is much cheaper though- $70 vs. $150 for Slingbox 350 + $15 iPad app

8. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I have both currently (well, an integrated stream in my Roamio Plus) and find myself using the Slingbox more for OOH streaming. I am on Cablevision, and most channels except for broadcast networks and a few basic cable channels have that copy protection flag.

Not sure what phone you have, but if it's an Android you should also consider that the Slingbox supports that platform while the TiVo Stream currently does not (expected in 2014). I am not a fan of the $15 apps for devices and that they are not universal, but at least you can view your Slingbox-connected device on a laptop or desktop. The Stream does not allow for PC/Mac streaming at this time either.

9. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I was looking at the sling box but I saw some posts that if you use ONLY HDMI cables for your connections there might be issues?

Is that correct?

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    HDMI input to Sling only works when HDCP is not used, so basically is useless for Slingbox. However, using component as input has no restrictions and works great, so I would recommend a 350 if you are looking at buying a new Slingbox.

11. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Can the Stream use HDMI?

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The Stream captures the digital bits associated with recordings over network, not the video outputs from the TiVo, so uses neither HDMI or component. For OOH Stream is prohibited from streaming or downloading copy protected content.

13. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I just bought both from a local Best Buy and will be installing and field testing them this evening.

I'll report back the results.

14. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
  15. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I tried for about an hour to activate my new Stream and I never could get it to work before I had to leave my house again.

Plus when I checked the software version, it was not the OOO version mentioned earlier in this thread. I wonder how long until I can get the 'good' software?

In-home streaming - negative
    Out of home streaming - negative

I'm 0 for 2.

On the plus side, my new Slingbox 350 is working perfectly with a perfect picture on an iPad 3.

I have 15 days to return this to Best Buy. I really want this to work, but somehow I don't think it will ever work as well as this Slingbox from what I have gathered from reading all the issues on this forum.

16. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    If you are a cable TV subscriber HDCP will be on on many or all channels, making Sling not work via HDMI, but if you use OTA it will not be on any channels and connecting TiVo via HDMI will work, as it does for me with a Roamio basic.

Netflix will not work, neither will downloaded files from Amazon.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Be glad it's only $15. When I purchased the app I think I had to pay $30 for it.

18. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Use component or composite output from the Roamio to the Slingbox, and this complication is non-existent. :)

19. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Bayern, I am curious as to why you would have both a Stream and a Slingbox?

I ask, because I have both currently and find that the Slingbox is superior. Even the in-home streaming is slightly better on the Sling. As mentioned, the only negative is the sluggish controls on the Sling.

One caveat though, I haven't been able to test the a Stream OOH yet since I have not yet received the software update.

20. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I have a stream integrated in my Roamio Plus, and find it easier to use for in-home streaming since I get to use the TiVo app on my iOS devices and not deal with remote lag. I do not have to purchase an additional app for viewing on my iPad which is a plus.

The Slingbox 350 is primarily hooked up for when I will be away for a while and wish to use OOH streaming. I am grandfathered into unlimited Verizon LTE data so I only purchased the Sling Player app for my iPhone.