1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Stream to Apple TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by aimeedmiked, Sep 25, 2012.

1. aimeedmiked

aimeedmiked New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Does TiVo Stream work with Apple TV? Or can Air Play work with the iPad TiVo app?

Thanks!

2. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    I don't think it works with atv yet, and it currently isn't air play enabled.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. TiVo is working on a device called the Mini that will work like a streaming only TiVo for other TVs.

Dan

4. aimeedmiked

aimeedmiked New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    How about Apple TV and the Air Play Mirroring feature? Anyone had luck with that?

5. DeWitt

DeWitt New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Summit, NJ
    Nope. For what it is worth HBO GO, Amazon Instant Video etc all also block airplay of video as of now. I suspect the fine hand of the content owners....

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think there is a way to work around it if your iOS device is jailbroken though.

Dan

7. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks!

Oct 29, 2000

Indeed there is. Install "UnrestrictPremium2" and then the TiVo app, as well as some of the aforementioned others, like Amazon Instant Video, HBOGO, MAXGO, and DirectTV, all work with AirPlay Mirroring. It's pretty sweet, the way things are SUPPOSED to be :D

8. Oct 2, 2012 #8 of 33
    igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Just came across this thread - darn - I was hoping to mirror occasionally and it's BLOCKED! :-(

Should be able to transfer the shows to computer and then watch through iTunes possibly... but also requires converting from .tivo format to .m4v...

Also BTW - it appears that UnrestrictPremium2 won't work yet for iOS6.

EyeTV is a lot better DVR in this regard.

9. Oct 8, 2012 #9 of 33
    aimeedmiked

aimeedmiked New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Are there any TiVo folks out there? Why isn't Air Play Mirroring supported? And can it be? I've heard that SlingPlayer has the ability some Airplay support....TiVo stream is very similar can the TiVo app be updated to support Airplay?

10. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks!

Oct 29, 2000
    I suspect it was a CableLabs requirement to block AirPlay (just like not allowing the app to stream on a jailbroken device.) I doubt the app would be updated to support it, seeing as how AirPlay support (at least fullscreen mirroring) is enabled by default to developers and they have to go out of their way to disable it. Maybe if policies change...?

The SlingBox isn't a CableCard device... less organizations to cooperate with, less rules to follow.

TiVo also will want you to buy their upcoming "TiVo Mini" set top box instead.

In the meantime, if you can jailbreak your iPad, and install xCon (to bypass the JB detection) and UnrestrictPremium, you will be able to fullscreen AirPlay. I've tried it and it works.

Alas, iOS 6 isn't jailbreakable yet...

11. rallykeeper

rallykeeper New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Southern...
    Does anyone think a middle ground might be available with the TiVo Stream app allowing Airplay streaming of unprotected content such as OTA broadcast TV recordings? Or, better yet, unprotected cable-delivered network TV recordings?

Does CableLabs really have authority over non-HDCP protected content like broadcast television? Or, is it just easier to block Airplay for all content and perhaps even impossible to selectively block Airplay?

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's probably not impossible to block selectively, but I doubt they'll do it. The Stream is meant to playing content on a portable device. If you need to stream to another TV that's what the Mini is for.

Dan

13. aimeedmiked

aimeedmiked New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I would suggest people that want Air Play enabled for the Tivo App for Apple fill out a Tivo Survey...maybe if enough people complain TiVo will do something about this issue. (I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask)

http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

14. gthassell

gthassell Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    Dan, I agree that is the main purpose of the Stream, but I would really like to be able to do this as I travel every week, and consume about half of my TiVo content on the road. Before the stream, I would take an extra hard drive or then load to ipad via itunes (slow and painful) and an appleTV to send videos via AirPlay. Since I have the stream and the ipad, I no longer take the time to transcode and copy via kmttg (cause TiVo desktop doesn't support hd size properly on the ipad)

It would be great to be able to have a quick and easy solution in the stream and ipad app.

15. igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    VERY disappointed that one cannot use AirPlay with it.

It makes no sense - if you can copy the show to your device - or download it to a computer, convert it and burn it onto a DVD - or put it on network hard drive for media player access - then why can't you mirror content (or live TV) using AirPlay?????

I was really hoping I could use TiVo Stream and buy another Apple TV to be able to use AirPlay and the Stream App as a TiVo player on an extra TV in our house. All you would be doing in essence is making the screen bigger - what's the harm?

Maybe TiVo Mini is the reason? They want to sell more hardware? Problem is - it doesn't exist even though it seems it might some day...
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2395

16. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

It's difficult to be empathetic to Apple devotees with complaints like this when Android still isn't even supported by Tivo Stream.

17. button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    If you want TiVo on another TV then why not buy another TiVo? It would be cheaper to do what you describe but it wouldn't be anything like as user friendly or functional.

I like that the Stream is focused on allowing TV viewing on a mobile device and does the job so well. Trying to push the limits of what is possible is the root cause of a lot of the complaints on this forum where people get upset that they can't do things that are beyond the scope of the product in the first place.

18. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks!

Oct 29, 2000
    It's just annoying when something is technically possible (airplay from an ios app) but that stupid business concerns actively restrict it.

19. dugbug

dugbug New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Ah no subscription fees perhaps?

Folks with the stream: Does the stream app allow for the iPhone hdmi viseo out cable?

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nope. No bideo out, no air play. At least not unless your iPhone is jail broken. Then there are work arounds for all of those limitations.

Dan