1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Stream Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by scole250, Jul 19, 2012.

1. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Is Tivo Stream a device used to stream to other TV's or to tablets/phones? In another thread it was mentioned that Tivo Stream might be included in new Tivo models. If it's designed to stream to TV's, bundling it in a Tivo is kinda of redundant. What exactly is Tivo Stream?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The Tivo Stream is meant for phones/tablets. It's possible the functionality may be built into the next generation box down the road.

There is another still-unnamed box that will stream to TVs.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    There are two different products on the horizon.
    One is designed to stream/sideload content to portable devices. I believe this is what the TiVo Stream is supposed to be.
    The other (yet unnamed) product is designed to be a Tivo extender box that connects to another TV in the house.

I have no doubt this technology will be built in to the next generation Tivo, but who knows when that will happen?
    Given the infancy of the Premiere line, I don't expect the next generation Tivos to arrive anytime before 2015.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Premiere has been out for over 2 years now. I'm betting it's got another year, maybe two, before it's replaced with a Series 5. There were less then 4 years between the release of the original S3 and the Premiere, with the HD coming out in between.

Dan

5. spinhar1

spinhar1 New Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Can't wait for the two devices to be released.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Didn't they announce a six tuner TiVo box by Pace for release next year? Or was that only for cable companies?

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, I have never heard anything about a 6 tuner TiVo box.

The Elite to XL4 renaming makes it seem like there will be an XL6 coming eventually (since a cable card supports up to 6 channels at a time). That would be incredibly cool, IMHO.

8. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Yes, Pace is making a 6 tuner box and in one of it's incarnations it can run TiVo. Seems very much like an MSO device, as I believe it will be available with multiple OS options.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/tivo-shows-off-pace-built-xg1-six-tuner-gateway-dvr-it-plans-to/

9. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Both available to retail likely in the "early fall timeframe" according to Tivo.

10. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Did I read correctly that the TV streaming client will require the 6 tuner yet to be released Premiere Q? Or will the TV client work with any Premiere?

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    From what I have read, the streaming box will work with any Premiere, but you must have the Elite/XL4 in order to stream Live TV.

12. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    At first the TV streamer will be limited to XL4/Elite/Q owners due to a software limitation with live TV. It'll be available to all Premieres after a later update in the future.

That was the plan as of two months ago. There's an off-chance they could enable the product for all Premieres right off the bat and just limit the live TV streaming to XL4/Elite/Q owners until the software is caught up, but I'm not counting on it until we hear differently.

13. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    BigJim had it the best. Live Streaming(locking a Tuner) will be limited to the XL4 at launch and updated shortly after to allow tuner locking from a standard Premiere...

14. stcaudle12

stcaudle12 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Texas
    I have tried all the streaming machines like slingbox, volcano etc.. it never seems to work well when accessing it remotely. Downloading content for later playback seems to be the best bet.

15. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    This is not designed to Stream remotely

16. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I use both a Slingbox and a Vulkano and they both work great for me remotely. In fact my relatives in other states often access my Vulkano. I wouldn't buy a new TiVo or downloading content. Would they even allow protected content to be downloaded?

17. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    If a show is actively being recorded on a Tivo, can you stream the recording to another Tivo or does the recording need to end first?

18. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    you can stream while it records

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can stream while a show is progress (Premiere to Premiere), but you can not transfer via MRV or TiVoToGo. I'm not sure how this limitation will effect the transcoder box. Maybe it will allow live streaming of anything by limit side loading to shows that have completed recording?

Dan

20. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That's a dealbreaker for me if the TiVo Stream device doesn't let me access content anywhere there's a WiFi connection. Not enough value if it only streams within the home network since the download feature can be done using TiVo Desktop.