1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Stream is relatively noisy

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by cwiesner, Sep 12, 2012.

1. cwiesner

cwiesner New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Just as a warning, if you are sensitive to fan noise you may have issues with the Stream. I can hear it from across the room both when it's active (higher fan noise) and even when it's quieter.

While it's not loud, it's easily the noisiest component near my TV -- louder than the Elite, Cisco tuning adapter, Airport Express router, etc.

I might think about either returning it or leaving it unplugged except when I need it (not ideal).

2. subVert

subVert New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Staten...
    I put my stream off of a switch my my network in the basement so I didn't even realize that it made any noise. I haven't physically seen it since I plugged it in. After reading your post I had to go down and visit the little guy. It certainly is noisy.

3. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    My first one was noisy. The replacement is much quieter. But it will soon go downstairs so the noise won't matter. A pretty powerful chip inside the box, so I'm glad there is a fan and not just a heat sink.

4. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Can you move your router or just get a long Ethernet cable and put it somewhere else, like in the next room or something.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Mine is loud too. But only sometimes, and mot just when I'm using it. I have mine in my office next to my main PC. Sometimes it's quite, pther times it's whining like a bad GPU fan. I hope the fan isn't dying. Or if it is I hope it dies soon so it's covered under warranty.

Dan

6. cwiesner

cwiesner New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Can't move my Stream easily (in a corner of a house built on a slab foundation).

Honestly was just a constructive complaint and a caution to buyers -- I wish Tivo had engineered the box a little better to be quieter. Sure, it's transcoding, but my Elite is recording on 4 channels and is still as quiet as can be. I'm typing this on my MacBook with no audible fan. Quiet can be done.

7. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    Interesting. Perhaps just a more robust material in the housing could quiet it down. Maybe they imagined most of these would be in a closet or office.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wasn't planning to put mine in a closet/cabinet when I get it. But now after hearing about the noise and temps, I'll either put it next to my AP or router. They both have a small whisper quiet fan blowing air on them so that should help with the heat from the stream as well.

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    You could always put duct tape over the vent holes in the case. That ought to quiet it. :D

(no, don't do that)

10. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Something I do: Get some folding cooling racks (like for cookies) and stack them up so that your Tuning Adapter, SlingBox, and TiVo Stream all have plenty of breathing room.

11. dwblessed

dwblessed New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    north carolina
    Can this airplane motor be put in a cabinet and still transmit to another room? I was planning on taking it back.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You only need an ethernet connection to your LAN. You can put it anywhere as long as it's connected to your LAN.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

13. wrecklass

wrecklass New Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Really interesting. I wasn't even aware the Stream made any noise until I read this thread. I went over and picked it up and noticed it right next to my ear. And despite my age I hear fine. :)

In the same room with the TiVo I didn't hear it at all over the noise the TiVo 4XL makes. That is quiet enough it doesn't tend to bother me at all.

I wonder if I got lucky and got a very quiet Stream, or if others got very noisy ones compared to mine.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The noise mine makes seems to come and go. It doesn't seem to correlate to when it's being used, so I don't think it's just ramping up due to heat. Although maybe it is heat and it just doesn't do a good job or normalizing the heat so the fan kicks on/off over the course of a day. Mine is sitting on my desk where I work*, about 4' from my head and about eye level, so it may be in an optimal position for me to hear it.

Dan

* Only place I had an open port on my network without rearranging things.

15. robpgreer

robpgreer New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I agree completely. The fan noise is unacceptable. I had to hang the device off a switch in my garage. If I didn't have such an option, I would have probably returned it--it's that loud.

16. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    Has anyone cracked the case open to see whether there's a good, likely aftermarket cooling option?

My family has been enjoying the Stream but had to move it to a location where the whine is a little annoying.

17. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If anyone's willing to hax0r it, I think the screws to open it are hidden under the rubber feet.

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Be advised that opening any TiVo product will void the warranty. :rolleyes::p;)

19. button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    The only problem I have with the fan is that it doesn't seem to do a complete job of cooling unless you stand up the Stream on one of it's edges to get better air flow. Normally it's not an issue but if you like to have it streaming out live TV for extended periods (sports games on iPad as a second screen for instance) it will overheat. At least mine did till I put it on its side.

20. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I dont suppose you can stream live tv on this?