1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Stream - do I need it for non-Roamio Tivos?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by shrike4242, Nov 7, 2013.

1. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    In my home environment, I have three Premiere XLs, one Premiere XL4 and one S3 that will be replaced by a Roamio Pro in the next few months. All of the Tivos are talking on MoCa, either by external or integrated adapters.

I know the Roamio Pro has an integrated Stream, so it's obvious to me that it will push out content on that Tivo via the Stream.

Question is, will the Roamio Pro stream out content that was recorded on it directly or would anything I recorded on any other Tivo that I transferred to the Roamio Pro be viewable via the integrated Stream? If that's the case, then I wouldn't need a standalone Stream for the Premiere units and can just wait until I get the Roamio Pro.

I think I already know the answer though it made sense to ask and double-check.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The stream inside the Roamio Pro is exactly the same as a standalone Stream and can stream content from any Premiere or Roamio on your network. There is no reason for you to buy a standalone Stream if you're buying a Roamio Plus or Pro.

3. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    So, would it work with content recorded on a Premiere if the content is on the Premiere, or does it need to be copied to the Roamio to be streamed?

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, it works with content on the Premiere directly, you don't have to copy it over yourself. Internally the Roamio Stream streams the recording from Premiere, transcodes it, then sends it to iOS App. Think of the internal Roamio Stream as identical to a standalone TiVo Stream.