1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Stream Cost

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by chashd, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1 of 40
    chashd

chashd New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I have no problem paying 129.00 for something, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how TiVo came up with the price for this thing. Does the unit really cost that much to make? I'm no expert, but I have a hard time believing that the tech inside justifies that price. I know us diehards will buy it, buy for the mass TiVo, subscribers, .......?

2. Sep 6, 2012 #2 of 40
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I highly doubt TiVo is making much profit if any on the Steam. The "tech" is similar to a Slingbox Pro-HD or Solo without the inputs/outputs so it certainly isn't cheap to produce (the chipset is basically all of the cost).

3. Sep 6, 2012 #3 of 40
    farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    There is no subscription cost. Why would you expect the item to cost what it actually sells for??

4. Sep 6, 2012 #4 of 40
    NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    They're also giving the app away for free.

Considering the relatively small market for this, and the development and support costs, I think it's a great price.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #5 of 40
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well this device is designed for the masses that paid for a premium DVR and for iPhones, iPods, & iPads, all of which cost a pretty penny. Seems like $129 would be nothing comparatively and I would guess even at $129 the profit margins are allot less than any of those "i" devices.

6. Sep 6, 2012 #6 of 40
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I expect TiVo is probably making about a 10 to 15% profit on each Stream sold, which selling at $130 isn't a lot in the stream of things (no pun intended). The Stream is likely a way to keep up with cable company provided DVRs, many of which already have this functionality built in. Basically it's a way to maintain sales of TiVo DVRs, which have been steadily falling since even before the Premiere was released.

We know the next TiVo series model (5?) will have the Stream hardware built in. My guess is that at some point, prior to the next model being released the Stream will end up being bundled with Premiere hardware. Probably for marginal cost (i.e. buy a Premiere, throw in a Stream for $50 or something).

7. Sep 6, 2012 #7 of 40
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It will always be a trade-off between raising the cost of the premiere with a higher end chip like the Broadcom BCM7435 which includes a quad transcoder and a lower end unit. I wouldn't be surprised if TiVo continues to market the Stream as an accessory for quite some time and releases a high-end gateway box onto the market that includes the faster processor with transcoding. The MSOs ultimately will drive the decision about what's in/out of the box. I think its easy to make an argument either way as to how much should be integrated into the gateway box.

8. Sep 6, 2012 #8 of 40
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Agreed. I would not want to necessarily pay for this functionality on a replacement box, especially if I had a stand-alone unit already. But, it makes sense to be added to a "high-end" box, especially for one that is the center of a larger home system.

9. Sep 6, 2012 #9 of 40
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Since one box can handle multiple TiVo's, it seems like a waste to add the cost to each unit. For us multi-TiVo homes anyway...

10. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I don't think multi-Tivo homes are the future. I think whole-home Tivo is the future, and that's where it would make sense to integrate the Stream.

Keep in mind that a lot of the cost of what makes up the stream won't need to be added to a Tivo. Only the bits that are doing the transcoding. The next generation will need a more CPU performance anyhow, to avoid the embarrassment that is the Premiere running HDUI.

Furthermore, Tivo will have to complete with other DVR makers that will support transcoding on the box. If Tivo wants to market a premium DVR, it needs to be able to do at least what the cableco DVRs can do.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah the future is one TiVo with 4 or 6 tuners and Minis on extra TVs. My guess is that only the untra high end one (6 tuner) will have the Stream hardware built in.

Dan

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would be great. A six tuner TiVo with the stream built in. Then I could sell my two Elites and just have a six tuner box along with two TiVo Mini boxes. I just hope that if they do come out with a six tuner box for retail that there will be an option with 3TB or 4TB of storage built in.

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    If we're just talking hardware, I'm sure the costs are much less than that. But there's marketing, support, packaging, etc to consider. Also TiVo starts things at a certain price and then lowers it over time. If we hit $99 in the next 6 months, I wouldn't be surprised.

14. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah, the cost of the components in the Stream probably are less than $75. I was trying to include design, marketing, etc in the cost.

15. csgraber

csgraber New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I'm sure there is new tech, if I had to guess - its a temporary device. I would be surprised if new Tivos in a year or two don't have it built in.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    10 years from now they'll be unnecessary. Cable will have likely upgraded to H.264 encoding by then, so no need to transcode. And even if they haven't the iPads (or whatever) that are available at that time will likely have enough horsepower to decode MPEG-2 in software.

This is definitely a stopgap technology, but it's a nice addition to have given the current technology.

Dan

17. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    10 years from now, there probably won't be any DVRs and cable as we know it won't exist. All TV will stream directly to portable devices. We're pretty close to that now.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I hope there isn't MPEG2 still around in ten years.

19. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ
    I ordered my Stream yesterday by phone. I asked the rep if there was anything he could do for me, a 13 year TiVo customer, to help with the cost. He couldn't touch the Stream or offer reduced or faster shipping for free but he did give me a free slide remote.

Just wanted to share.

Best,
    Scott

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That sounds like an excellent deal to me.