1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo still crashes after replacing two capcitors

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by baijumehta, Oct 8, 2013.

1. baijumehta

baijumehta New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Appreciate all the valuable information I have learned here. Anyways, my Tivo HD goes offline every few days. Rebooting the Tivo fixes it. I assumed it was the power supply issue that was mentioned frequently on the forum.

I inspected my power supply and saw that in fact two capacitors were bulging. I replaced them this past Sunday.

I checked my Tivo this morning and there was no display coming from it again.

Do you think I should just replace all the capacitors or could it be something else causing problems. I do have a WD Expander plugged into it as well.

Thank you in advance.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Yes, bulging means they had to vent. They can be bad without the venting.

And yes, expanders can cause these problems as well. Which size is it? You sound clever enough to just upgrade the internal to have one less point of potential failure...

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    adding to what jrtoo said.
    Even though they can be bad without bulging, I have noticed they fail in waves by manufacturer, so if any were the same brand as your bad ones, they would be on my "replace no matter what" list, but I'd consider replacing most of the larger and mid-size caps anyway.

4. baijumehta

baijumehta New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I am going to replace the remaining capacitors on the power supply.

I am also going to install a 2TB drive in the Tivo as well. Just to cover all my bases.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Replacement caps should be low-ESR types with a temp rating of 105C, or they won't last long. Parts lists for various tivo models have been posted on this forum. Mouser is one good place to get them.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The really big one rated around 200V is probably just fine.

And the really little ones probably are as well.

Just worry about the ones clustered around the heat sink.

And get a WD20EURS if someone's got new retail ones for $100 or less.

But work on one problem at a time so as not to introduce too many variables at once.

And check your video output with the yellow jack, not the 3 component jacks or the HDMI.