1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Steam Software Upgrade to enable External Streaming on Premier?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by michaelmantis, Aug 20, 2013.

1. michaelmantis

michaelmantis New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I have read a bunch of reviews on the new Roamio and am confused on the ability of the existing Stream to be updated (with future software) to enable external streaming when used with an existing Premier unit.

I know the Stream can be used with the entry level Roamio hardware (with the high end ones having it built in) and seen conflicting/unclear reviews if this "sling box-like" functionality will come to Premier units that have the Stream.

Anyone find an article or review that clears this up? I know the functionality was "coming soon" so the answer may not be out yet...

2. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Tivo, Inc. responded to this question with, "what's a Premiere?" ;)

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    At least one of the reviews confirmed this. The Roamios use the same chips as in the Stream. There will be an update down the road.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The Engadget review
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/tivo-roamio-plus-review/
    says:
    The cool new trick is out-of-home streaming for both live and recorded shows, with the ability to download shows to your iOS devices while away from home. (Note: this feature isn't coming to the Roamio until this fall, so we tested it with a TiVo Stream instead).

so presumably there will be an update.. unless they really only did a 'test' update for reviewers, which seems VERY unlikely, but technically possible.

5. jessehere

jessehere New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    how about android Tivo?

6. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Never happen, all I've heard are empty promises but TiVo always does that so who knows. Might be 6 weeks, might be 6yrs... just a game of waiting.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Their CEO said during a TV interview that Stream support for Android was coming this Fall. I don't think he would have said that on TV unless he was confident it was true.

8. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I hope it is and good point bout the TV thing. I just know in the past that some of he promises made by TiVo never came when they were supposed to if at all heh

Fingers crossed though.

9. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Still waiting on my S3 to support M-cards... I JEST, I JEST. Sort of. ;)