1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo stability and tied to contract

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by dunnel, Mar 13, 2011.

1. dunnel

dunnel New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    I am one of the unlucky ones who has yet to be called offering me one. I was really looking forward to getting one but after reading a number of posts about frequent reboots I am now quite concerned. One of the best features of the S1 compared to say Sky is it's stability, it hardly ever needed a reboot. I know that software updates may cure certain issues over time but I don't want to end up with a box that I have to keep rebooting and being tied to an 18 month contract (correct me if it is a different duration). My sky hd box has it's moments and I would say over 10 months I have probably had to restart it maybe every 2 months on average. I would hope that the TiVo would match or better this.*
    I am just concerned that I may get stuck with a machine and not able to get out of it.*
    Is this one of the reasons for delays in getting the machines out. I recently spoke to VM as I was told (via email) that I would be getting one in March but they said they were having problem and there would be a delay. Has anyone any news or can put my mind at rest about the multiple reboots.*

2. howardmicks

howardmicks VM Tivo User

Feb 13, 2011
    PRESTON
    It as its problems but they are only minor,I suspect vm/tivo will do a update before official launch(heard rumours this week).I am very impressed with mine and you after except problems if you recieve before official release date,All in all its a superb product which will get better with time

3. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    As far as I am concerned if a company does not provide the service that you would reasonably expect to receive and are unable or unwilling to put it right, then a contract is irrelevant and deemed null and void should I so wish.

That said my experience of ntl/virgin media is that when it comes down to it retentions will eventually do what needs to be done. I won't comment further on how I am still a customer with them and indeed have VM Tivo ;)

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You were doing so well until that last bit ;) Your "wishes" have nothing to do with it. However, you are right that bad service should be enough to actually get you out of any contract :)

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
    The contract is for 12 months - that's what our paper work says (see thread here), despite some talk of 18 month contracts at signup time.

@ carl - really, read it in context...

6. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    Mine has rebooted about 70 times in the last week, and during that time they've replaced both the box and the viewing card on different occasions.

At the moment I'd have to advise staying well away from them until they sort the stability problems out. When it can't complete a recording properly 90% of the time it ceases to serve it's purpose.

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    In any conext, wishes have nothing to do with anything. You are legally allowed to break a contract under certain circumstances, one of which is demonstably lousy servicel though that's not the legal term, of course ;)

And yet mine is perfectly stable; having only re-booted once* and ruined two recordings, both of which were repeated within the week.

*And that might have been my fault for over-loading it with RF commands :D

The point being that, while I don't doubt that you - and some others - are having stability issues (which I hope can be resolved to your satisfaction) and I therefore understand your comments to "stay away", I'm sure you can see my POV that your comment is really nothing more than a sweeping generalisation assuming that all boxes must be having the same issues when clearly they are not.

8. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    @Carl,
    Context has everything to do with it!
    My understanding (based on what he wrote), is that geekspeak says he is entitled to get out of the contract (if he wishes) should the service not be up to scratch.

9. dunnel

dunnel New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    I agree that a machine that crashes several times a day is totally unacceptable but do VM have to cancel the contract or are they allowed to swap the machine. I am sure that the contract would allow the supplier to resolve an issue but at what point does the suppliers chances run out.*
    It isn't the box that crashes multiple times a day that I have the issue with as this to anybody would be unacceptable, it is the less frequent crash, once a week or once a fortnight. Anything more frequent than once a month would be unacceptable to me but what is considered acceptable in the contract.*
    It seems that there are some that have Tivos that are fairly stable and others that are crashing multiple times a day. I am assuming that all are running the same version of software. I know that some my may be running different versions (e.g. Testing 3rd tuner) but these are probably not those posting on here. If the software is the same version then what is the cause of the issue. Do some Tivos contain different components, is it some sort of problem with a specific location. If not is too much expected from a software release to fix these issues when the problems don't seen to relate to a specific version of software therefore maybe not software related?
    Some of the above are based on my assumptions so I would be interested in any more information that others have.*

10. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    I agree that I'm probably an unfortunate example, and my box did in fact work fairly well for the first fortnight. However given the seeming lack of ability of anyone at Virgin Media to resolve what is an on-going problem my advice to stay away would seem to be fairly sensible at the current time. It looks like there just isn't sufficient expertise within VM to deal with any problematic units/accounts at the moment. If it works great, if it doesn't you're screwed.

Much as I want to like VM and the new Tivo, a PVR which can't record programs properly is just an expensive waste of space.

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Erm... yes, and I agreed with him. But it's still nothing to do with his wishes; it's legally-binding, or something like that. ie it's written into consumer law that he can do so.

12. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    My TiVo has rebooted once since getting it weeks ago, and was when I was bombarding it with IR commands, not sure if this was coincidence or not. I know it seems a few people are having a really tough time with their units but mine has been a joy to use. I think go into TiVo with an open mind, it's a great product and almost ready for the mass Market, but you may hit some issues just now, but for most they are minor niggles.

Rickw, you must have the patience of a Saint as I would have thrown the box into the street by now. I'm sure they will get to the bottom of the issue as VM must also be on a steep learning curve. Be interesting to see what the issue turns out to be in the end.

13. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It's up to him whether he acts on that though, which is all he was saying re: wishes. If you're going to get incredibly picky on wording (which seems to be your style right now) then

is a contradiction in terms; you can never be allowed to break a contract. There may be circumstances where the contract is deemed to no longer apply.

14. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Interesting definition of "prefectly stable" there. And you cliam not to be an apologist for VM. :rolleyes:

15. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    It's very tempting :)

At the moment the only real alternative is to go back to Sky, and their 1TB box is more expensive.

I'm going to give VM a few more days before cancelling the contract to see if they can fix it once and for all.

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Seems likely...
    Agreed.

Yeah, me too :p

Compared to the one under discussion here that re-boots 25 times an hour or whatever it was then yes, mine is perfectly stable. Perhaps I should have used the word 'relatively' though.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yes

I

think

perhaps

you

should.

Must

you

cut everything up into sentences in order to pointlessly add "agreed"?

18. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Ahh, Stuart. Taking pedantry to the next level :p

19. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Hopefully the team have picked it up on the VM Forum as well and they'll get it fixed for you with some lovely compensation!

20. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    You'd like to think so wouldn't you?

No reply on the VM forum since Friday, the engineer dealing with it can't get any updates on what they tell him is an account issue, and my complaint submitted via the website Saturday morning is yet to generate any response.