1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Spring Update Begins Rolling Out Today

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by davezatz, May 10, 2012.

1. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Engadget's coverage:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/tivo-spring-update-brings-new-netflix-and-youtube-experience/

The embargo is noon EST, so they must have hit the publish button a bit early since this showed up in a news alert over night.

I've had the update a few days. Once you're in Netflix it's sharp and usable, but waiting for it to load is painful. I can flip TV inputs and get my Roku onto the Netflix channel in 1/3rd the time. But, of course, the point is maybe you don't need a Roku box given this update. At the moment, I'd be most interested in an Amazon Instant app - but it sounds like it's on Amazon to produce it. We shall see?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    BAsed on the Endgadget review it sounds like when it switches between 720P and 1080P it's a pain since the Premiere cannot scale to 1080P. They mentioned having to resync when the resolution changes. This is one issue the Roku doesn't have. How bad is it really when using it?

Hopefully I'll be able to check it out tonight. I have four things I want to watch on Netflix tonight. I had been using my ROku2 the last few nights for about a dozen shows. So it will be nice to finally check it out on the Premiere. At least hopefully.

3. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/05/tivo-netflix-player-hands-on-review.html

To wrap-up, while it does have some quirks, the new TiVo Netflix player is a big improvement and provides a great audio and video experience. Since the TiVo is our primary viewing device and given its integrated search, I will be using Netflix on TiVo much more. Given the wealth of bandwidth I get from FIOS, the video black-out problem should just be a minor annoyance for me. While I wouldnÂ’t recommend the TiVo Premiere just for Netflix, the new Netflix app is one of several compelling reasons to make it part of your home theater set up.

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/05/tivos-youtube-player.html

The spring TiVo update also includes fixes to Amazon Instant Video. Previously, Amazon content downloaded to the TiVo Premiere would sometimes suffer from excessive pixelization. That problem has now been fixed. Remember, the TiVo provides the best video quality of any Amazon Instant Video device: video at 1080P resolution and 24 frames per second.

4. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Dave, Whats your opinion of the Youtube app? Anything change there!

5. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    So what is the version # of the spring update?
    -Shaown

6. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Has anyone actually got the update yet?

If so whats the version number?

Did you submit your TSN to the Priority List? http://www.tivo.com/priority

Thanks!

7. DinoBambino

DinoBambino New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    When I set up my Elite, the video was defaulted to 1080i. To "enjoy" the new 1080p capabilities of Netflix and Amazon I need to switch the Tivo video output to 1080p. What affect does that have on normal tv viewing? I Imagine the HD channels would be ok - would there be an issue with SD channels? I'd rather not keep flipping the video output.

Thanks.

8. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah, much different and more modern. Looks similar to other newer YouTube apps.

I assume the beta testers will start chiming in soon - they've had the new apps longer than I and will be able to provide perhaps more detailed info (without revealing they were beta testers I suppose).

The rollout could take a couple weeks as they stagger it, so folks should get their names on that priority list if they haven't already.

9. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I got it just now, and I had signed up for the priority list.

To answer my own question - its version #

20.2.1.1-01-2-748 on my premiere XL

Thanks,
    -Shaown

10. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    And my review so far:
    Install went well - got a new message that said I had installed the spring update listing the features.
    Of course
    1) the Netflix player doesn't work
    2) I still have the old YouTube player

Guess I will give it a few hours to see if it fixes itself.
    -Shaown

11. xander777

xander777 Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Does the new YouTube app play HD videos?

12. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Ok - tried switching to SD menus. That fixed it all up there. Does not work when I reenable HD Menus though lol.
    -Shaown

13. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I am little nervous for my my older parents get the update. Sigh - they use Netflix a not - and can't quite diagnose installation issues the way I can.
    -Shaown

14. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yes.

15. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have you tried a reboot?

16. gothaggis

gothaggis New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    i find it 'funny' that they mention 'more hd menu updates coming later in the year'

it is seriously taking them over 2 years to update all the menus to HD. what.

17. TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Please email me your TiVo Service number. I understand the Netflix issue (if you visit Settings > Channels > My Video Providers it should resolve immediately). I want to follow up on the YouTube issue.

My email is margret@tivo.com.

Thanks!

18. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002

I did - did not help.
    New Youtube and Netflix app work with SD Menus
    With HD Menus - Netflix returns an error, Youtube brings up the old app

Thanks,
    -Shaown