1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo slows down, then reboots--then repeat

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by naiLS1, Oct 23, 2007.

1. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Okay, I've read a few things about the current OS version causing some problems, but this seems a bit different--I think.

My Tivo is an S2 540040. I bought it April of last year and upgraded to a 250gb HD within the first month.

My tivo started having problems back around August of this year. It seemed to be caused by overheating. It was slowing down and then rebooting about 2 times per day. (By "slowing down" I mean every time I press a button it takes about 30 seconds before it responds--if it does at all) I moved it to an area with better airflow and it seemed to be fine. Then after the new service update, it seemed to start again. But it started doing it more frequently. It was slowing down gradually and then rebooting.

Then it got to the point where it was stuck booting up. I then put the original drive back in 2 days ago and it downloaded the service update. Then within a day it was already slowing down again. And this morning, it rebooted itself.

Is this corruption of the data on the drive--both drives? Or could this be a bad power supply? Or is it the newest software version causing this?

I have a backup of the drive from April of last year, when it was functioning just fine. I'll be trying that next but I wanted to get some opinions from the experts.

One more thing, I've been keeping track of the temp and the highest I've seen it is 43C. It's usually between 38C and 42C.

2. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    This is not coming from an expert, ;) but it sounds oddly enough like a power supply issue which is fairly rare. A new one from Weaknees is about $70. You might really want to consider replacing it.

To eliminate the HDD being the issue first, you could try some of the standard Kickstart diagnostic programs:

(Note that the KS light links are for newer TiVo's; yours will look like the image below)

"Kickstart 57" is TiVo’s built-in diagnostic program similar to Windows “check disk”. It triggers an MFS assert (GSOD), which marks the file system as being damaged. The repair process detects and repairs inode/data problems, and then runs mfscheck to clean up database and directory problems.

Kickstart 57 – TiVo Diagnostics:

1. Go to TiVo Central
    2. Select Messages & Setup
    3. Select System Reset
    4. Select Restart Receiver
    5. Press Thumbs Down three times
    6. Press Enter
    7. While the system is restarting, during the initial screen, press and hold the PAUSE button until only yellow light(s) illuminate.
    8. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
    9. TiVo will reboot and the GSOD screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error. It will then run the disk management tool. During this time it will look for and correct configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the hard drive so they can no longer be used.
    10. TiVo will automatically reboot after the diagnostic program has completed. This may take a few minutes to a few hours.​

"Kickstart 58" is another of TiVo’s diagnostic programs. It runs fsfix with an additional option that causes it to make multiple passes over the inodes, re-hashing them and clearing collision bits.
    Kickstart 58- TiVo Diagnostics:

1. Go to TiVo Central
    2. Select Messages & Setup
    3. Select System Reset
    4. Select Restart Receiver
    5. Press Thumbs Down three times
    6. Press Enter
    7. While the system is restarting, during the initial screen, press and hold the PAUSE button until only the yellow light(s) illuminates.
    8. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 8 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
    9. Put the remote down and wait. The system will proceed to the diagnostic program.
    10. TiVo will reboot after the diagnostic program has completed. This may take a few minutes to a few hours.​

Kickstart procedures generally leave Season Passes, Wish Lists, etc. intact, however data and recordings that used any bad sectors may be lost.

Some others may have some ideas too. Good luck and let us know what happens. :up:

[​IMG]

3. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Okay, thanks for the reply. I've got the kickstart 57 running right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

One strange thing: the Tivo is making a weird electric type of buzzing noise that I've never heard from it before --is that normal during a kickstart?

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    As suggested, it could be the power supply.

Also, have you checked the fan?

5. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Nope, I haven't checked it but it sounds like it's running and the temp is fine. Tomorrow I'll open it up and check it out.

The kickstart is done and it's recording a show. We'll see what happens.

6. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I've no idea what the sound might be. TiVo shouldn't make any unusual noises during a KS process. As dwit suggested, it could be the fan.

Let us know if /when it gets back to normal!

7. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Strange--the sound went away once the kickstart process was finished.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know!

8. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    After the kickstart on original drive worked I decided to put the 250gb drive back in to see if the kickstart would help. It ran the KS and the Tivo actually booted afterward!

Oh and I checked to make sure the fan works. It spins just fine and there's not much dust at all inside the box.

We'll see how long it lasts. It's a little sluggish even now.

Thanks for the help guys!

9. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Glad to hear things are on track so far. :up: Keep us posted.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you have software v9.x then that's the reason.

11. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005

Yup, I do have 9.x but it's not as sluggish as it was. It's only been a day though, so I'm still keeping an eye on it.

12. jubrand

jubrand Temporarily Stairs

May 11, 2002
    Chicago
    Also not an expert, but when something similar started happening to mine, it was the drive (although my drive was 5 years old, so not as surprising as a pretty new one going). Mine was also up around 51C instead of 38-42.

13. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Okay, it started slowing down again today and then it rebooted itself about an hour ago. I guess it's still not happy.

I have a back of the drive from April of last year when it was brand new. I want to use the new WinMFS to restore the backup to a hard drive but I read that the backup I have is not compatible with WinMFS. Is there a way to convert the backup to use with WinMFS?

I originally used the MFSTools Cd from Weaknees.

14. naiLS1

naiLS1 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know the outcome on my most recent Tivo adventure. I ended up testing the 250gb drive with the manufacturer tools and it turns out the drive was fine. I guess the data on the drive got corrupted or something.

Anyway, I re-imaged the drive using a backup I had made of the original just a month after I bought the Tivo. It seems to be back to it's old self now.

Could the drive data have gotten corrupt because of some bugs in the old MFSTools CD? I read on the WinMFS page that the old MFSTools had some bugs in it and that's what I used back when I originally upgraded the HDD in the Tivo.

Specifically, I used the CD you get from this page.

AND because the backup I used was made using that same old MFSTools CD, I had to use it to also restore the backup---apparently the old backup format is not compatible with the newer MFS applications.

15. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy New Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Thanks richadams for the start:

The aforementioned "soft reset" (for lack of a better term), did NOT bring on the two yellow lights for my 2004 TIVO Series 2 unit.

So the supervisor above the "level I" tech support, suggested that I do a "HARD reset", i.e.
    1) unplug the TIVO unit for 60 seconds,
    2) replug in the unit, then IMMEDIATELY press and hold onto the PAUSE button, for as long as it takes (took mine's 50 seconds to get the yellow lights to turn on).

3) (then follow richadams' protocol): i.e. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
    4. TiVo will reboot and "green" screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error.
    5. TiVo will automatically reboot after the diagnostic program has completed. This entire process could take three hours.

16. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
  17. physicaltherapy

Oct 5, 2008
    Unfortunately, no richsadams. :(

I've run and left the Series 2 on the Kickstart 57 for numerous hours (I FELL asleep and it went on for about 8 hours). :rolleyes:

However, I REALLY appreciate your kind help & support. :up:

Currently, I'm in the process of running the Kickstart 58 for tentatively 3 three hours. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, this diagnostic set will do the trick. :eek:

I'll keep you posted! :)

PT

18. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Hmmm...if it was stuck on KS57 for more than three hours on a Series2 odds are the hard drive is failing. KS58 could possibly help but I'd wager you'll have the same experience.

It may be time to replace the hard drive or buy that shiny new TiVo HD you've had your eye on. IIRC you can get a refurb HD from TiVo for $199 or they have an upgrade program:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/upgrade.do

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

19. physicaltherapy

Oct 5, 2008
    thanks rich! I'll be making another post (to equal 5 posts to "circumvent the below error message; so that I can include a link)

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
    To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. :thumbsdown::mad: You currently have 4 posts. :eek:

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.

20. physicaltherapy

Oct 5, 2008
    rich:

I fear you are indeed correct. :( I've had the unit for over five years and it's recorded all my CNBC & Bloomberg Programs FLAWLESSLY. I paid $100 or so, for the lifetime membership about a month AFTER I began using it; probably one of my BEST INVESTMENTS along with the SLINGBOX.

I've already gone through Kickstarts 57, 58, 52 and just for the heck of it, I'll attempt 54.

Thanks much for the header on the soon to be replacement unit, which saves me $100!!! :)

My total cost will be $500 ($199 h/w + $299 lifetime subscription); roughly the +$100 more than amount I'd paid over 5 1/2 years ago. Subcription might have been IIRC about $2.50 per month? And the monthly and lifetime subscriptions have increased substantially since the early 2000s. Hey it's all good and it's about keeping me abreast of the whirling stock market.

As for the new unit, I understand it has the "receiver cards." :confused: Can this new TIVO unit simply work without the given card(s), i.e. as my Series 2 had done, i.e. use whatever CABLE channels on its queu. I'd called my cable company and they would like a purchase AND a monthly fee for such a card. I prefer keeping the status quo, until I do a little more research on it.

The only change in in "subscribed channeling" is during the NBA Season (NBA League Pass).

A related note: What does BamCat mean by the following, with regards to "free TIVO BASIC?" This service might be an aspect that I'm expected to have and I've taken for granted... and :eek: might NOT get it. Please clarify if possible. Thanks ahead of time. :)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5658607

Also, any ideas where to send my expired unit?

PT