1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Slide Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ilovedvrs, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
  2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Good question. It will also be interesting to see if this is the first TiVo to break compatibility with the older IR remotes. (Up until now I've been able to use old Series 2 remotes to control Premieres, and vice versa.)

3. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Tivo Slide Remote is bluetooth (plus IR for other things), it uses an included USB bluetooth adapter for communication.

4. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Just got a special call from Tivo about the orders I placed today.
    And I asked about this remote.

They said it might work (but it has no support and has been discontinued.)

But they did hint at something better was going to be release shortly that is better!

The Slide does work with the Tivo mini, so I will end up using it in that room if it doesn't work with the Roamio.

If anyone else has the Slide and gets the Roamio before I do, please let us know your results.

5. Resist

Resist New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'll never understand why Tivo discontinued the Slide Remote, I enjoy using mine.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Apparently it breaks easily when people drop them. And people seem to drop them alot for some reason.

7. ndoren

ndoren New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I'll expand a bit on this. There is a ribbon cable with an edge connector that attaches to the circuit board in the lower part of the slide remote. With rough use, including dropping and repeated "aggressive opening/closing" of the slider, the edge connector detaches. This renders the remote useless. Some have had success with careful disassembly of the remote and reattachment of the cable. But you have to know that's where the problem lies. And you have to be meticulous and skilled in disassembly.

Also, the IR LED of the remote is weak. IT's bluetooth, yes, except for the TV functions such as volume, power and input. The IR range for the remote is short and TiVo got a lot of complaints about it. I own two Slide remotes and never had a problem with either. Neall

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They said it has an IR receiver for compatibility with universal remotes. So I'd bet it does. They haven't changed the IR codes, except for a few like separating guide and live TV, since the beginning.

9. cyberbeach

cyberbeach Mere member

Nov 29, 2002
    Lost Angles
    I'm glad I have 3 of them, because when you have to enter an email address, password, etc., in order to use some service, the keyboard is a lifesaver.

Searching for shows, I don't mind using the onscreen keyboard because usually you only have to go 3-5 letters in to find what you're looking for.

10. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    As I posted in another thread, the slide works as advertised with the Roamio including the Keyboard.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, you can also use any old USB wireless dongle keyboard with the TiVo, for occasional use. But the Slide is really nice and convenient. Stupid move, TiVo....

12. bucm4sko24wle2mi

bucm4sko24wle2mi New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    You do hit the nail on the head in terms of the source of the problem. However, mine stopped working without any of the abuse described. It was, however, successfully fixed in house. I'm not sure what will be different in the new "slide" remote. I think the original had bad design.

13. dma6000

dma6000 New Member

Mar 12, 2013
    IR: Yes
    BT: No

14. dma6000

dma6000 New Member

Mar 12, 2013
    IR: Yes
    BT: Yes

15. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    The BT dongle, for the slide remote, works properly in the Roamio?

16. andyf

andyf Active Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Yes, I'm using it!

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm using mine too. I just plugged the usb adapter in and the slide started working right away. It's been working great so far with my Roamio Pro.

18. dma6000

dma6000 New Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Roamio does not support Slide Remote BT. It really doesn't work. It will work IR. That's all.

19. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Works fine here. Right off the bat I plugged mine in and even used it for guided setup. Maybe it got set to IR mode, did you try switching it back?

Or maybe you mean without the dongle? Your other posts above are confusing me, you said it was working up there.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My BT slide remote works great with my replacement Pro using RF with the USB Dongle.. It also worked great with my first Roamio Pro.