1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Service Up / Down Status Indicator

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by alanpgh, Jan 24, 2014.

1. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    This is very helpful, especially if you get a C133 or 133 error:
    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/tivo.com.html

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    Montgomery,...
    If what I've been seeing is true, then this is actually not so helpful.

I still have my older TiVo HD and have confirmed multiple times that it's able to get to the TiVo service when my Premiere is experiencing a C133 and failing to contact the service. I've seen several threads around here suggesting it might be due to using TiVo's wireless N adapter with the latest software. Some have replaced theirs with other brands of Ethernet bridge, or with an actual Ethernet wire, and gotten a resolution. If this is indeed the source of these maddening C133 errors, then knowing that TiVo's service is up does nothing more than increase our anger at TiVo for not (1) acknowledging the problem and (2) getting a solution out ASAP.

3. mriman

mriman New Member

May 15, 2010
    I am NOT sure this tells you anything about the server for the TiVo service. The website server and the server for everything that runs your TiVo I believe are different pieces of hardware.

Any one able to comment for certain?

My wish is for a simple TiVo Service UP/Down indicator on their website.

4. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm still getting perky C133 errors relatively often.

I'm thinking of seeing is an Airport Express will help extend the range of my Time Capsule / Network.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alan

(I also posted this one one of the C133 threads.)

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What's needed is a way to find out if the "mothership" is down for particular TiVo models and/or particular areas of the country.

Just ask anyone who's been through the past few falls with both a Series 1 and a later model in the house.

6. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Great Idea!

Margeret (from Tivo), can you make this or something similar happen?

Thanks!

Alan

7. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I wonder if a simple ping to the IP of the Tivo mothership would work for this. If so it should be possible to take the result from the ping (succeed or fail) and use that data in an if argument. So put together the IP's for the premiere ping those IP's and if they fail print the message to the screen that the Premiere server is down. Unfortunately I do not know how to use the result of a ping in computer programming but perhaps someone could put something together in c++ or possibly Java. Although we would still need to know the IP's perhaps Margaret can help with that.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's not just "is the server that sends out guide data up?", it's "what does it do when it finds out it's talking to a -insert series and model number here-?", since the answer seems to vary at certain times depending on which series is trying to get serviced.

9. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Margret from Tivo... Please help us with this one.
    There is a straightforward solution, but best if Tivo provides an easy solution.

Thanks,
    Alan

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

You might want to email her. Doubtful she'll see this.

11. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    99% of the time it is my router. I just reboot the router and everything is magically healed. Just on a few occassions had it obviously been the Tivo servers.

12. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Actually, she already indicated that this is something she is championing through Tivo. An email may help her support internally, as who knows if they would follow up on her suggestion.

13. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Can someone please post her email address?

Thanks!

14. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

margret@tivo.com

15. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
  16. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I will likely write to her. if I do, I will post here.

Others might also want to write to her. We need a campaign here.
    That will help the overall cause and help her, if we do this in a positive and constructive way.

Thanks Everyone!

Alan

17. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Not only do I not see the need for a campaign, I don't even see the need for the feature!

Yes, I understand curiosity, but there are many other things I want TiVo to be working on rather than satisfying curiosity, like reducing the dependency for some actions on their servers being up. The practical import for most folks is going to be zero.

18. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm not going to start a campaign.

Just getting her email/twitter in case I need to send something.

19. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Sep 8, 2004
  20. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago