1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo service for just watching recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by az1097, Jan 30, 2014.

1. az1097

az1097 New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I'm thinking about upgrading my Premiere which is almost full, to a Roamio. According to one Tivo CSR, play-back of my already recorded shows on the Premiere without continuing service on it, would be "limited" which won't allow Rewind or FF through commercials...I was told differently by a second call to another CSR.
    I'd like to know if discontinuing service on the Premiere will allow me to play back my recordings without any limitations. Thanks.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    A Premiere with no service will play your recordings with no issues, including trick play features. It will not be able to stream them or allow any networked features.

3. az1097

az1097 New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    This sounds great...thank you dianebrat.

4. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    As long as your cable company isn't over-flagging content, you should be able to move all the non-HBO stuff over to the new box too.

5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Only as long as they both have paid service.

6. Feb 1, 2014 #6 of 11
    MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Tivo will create a temporary service on a 2nd box for a month or so to allow you to have both an old and a new box active on your account, and then allow you to cancel that 2nd account with no charge. To be honest, I don't remember if I was charged and then refunded or just never charged, but either way, it was no cost, as long as I canceled that extra account within a month.

7. Feb 1, 2014 #7 of 11
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    What are these trick play features you are talking about?

8. Feb 1, 2014 #8 of 11
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FF, RW, Skip to tick, etc with no limits, operationally it's the same as if it's subscribed, I should have typed that instead, since folks refer to those same functions for live tv as "trick play"

9. Feb 1, 2014 #9 of 11
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Thanks. I was wondering if I was missing something.

10. georgia1026

georgia1026 New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    I just did the same thing. Switched to Roamio. I was able to transfer all of my shows from my old premier. Search for the instructions (I am not allowed to post a link here) You have to have the service to do this. I didn't want service on both, but TiVo customer service switched my old plan to my Roamio, then set me up with a new monthly plan for the old Premiere. It has a 30 day cancellation policy, so they instructed me to cancel once I finished transferring my shows. They told me my $12.99 would be refunded. I just cancelled today, so I don't know if that will happen. But it is worth it to me to get the 40+ hours of shows over to my Roamio.

11. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    I see in another thread that the Premiere is going to your daughter. Did you try to get $99 lifetime on the Premiere?? Not sure if they are still doing that.