1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Series 4: Jumpy Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Appelcline, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Appelcline

Appelcline New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Two weeks in a row I've been watching Once Upon a Time and had the recording frequently do some weird jumping: you're watching, then it jumps back a few seconds and repeats what you just saw, then it jumps forward to catch up with where it should be (skipping stuff). Last week it was annoying; this week it made the show almost unwatchable at times.

A month or two ago we had some weird semi-seconds of blackness in recordings every once in a while which might or might not be related.

At least for the 6 or 7 shows we saw in the last week, this was the only show doing that, and it's possibly the only show we saw on that channel.

We're using Comcast (unfortunately) digital cable.

Any ideas whether it's a source problem (e.g., the cable channel), a cable card, a tuner, a drive ... ? The Series 4 is just a year or so old and the cable card is brand-new (we had to replace it) so I'd be pretty shocked if it was the hardware, but ...

2. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I would run kickstart 54 ( run the full test ) then 57, just to make sure your harddisk is ok. If you have a few bad sectors then this should fix it.

3. Appelcline

Appelcline New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks. How does one get to those?

4. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    It started happening for us about two weeks ago and we have since narrowed it down to ABC shows only. We notified Comcast the other day and they said they would look into it. We confirmed that it happens on more than one TiVo by recording the same show on multiple TiVos just to make sure. It happens in exactly the same spot in the show on both TiVo recordings.

Ken

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  6. Appelcline

Appelcline New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    That is extremely helpful (as Once Upon a Time is also on ABC and we've been seeing the problem for two weeks also). Thanks!