1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tivo series 3 records more programs than requested.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by w2jo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. w2jo

w2jo New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    If I set my Tivo to record a maximum of FIVE shows of (say) Modern Marvels, it goes ahead on its own and records from 6 to 12 and sometimes more. Why is this? What can I do to limit the Tivo to recording the selected FIVE maximum?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that some programs are available on multiple channels? This is true, but the channels are not duplicates so I would rather not turn off any of my selected channels.

Thanks.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Are they really being recorded unexpectedly or are they just suggestions being put in the same folder?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It sounds like the Tivo is deleting the oldest show and recording a new show to replace that, keeping it at 5. If the shows were set as "Keep Until I Delete" then it will stop recording when it reaches 5 shows.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I'm not sure, but I think that if you have multiple season passes for the same show (on multiple channels, so you don't miss a show if one channel preempts it or something), TiVo can record and keep up to five shows (or whatever you set) for each of the season passes. Does anyone know for sure how this works?

5. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    A wishlist will record from more than one channel and IIRC can limit the recordings to 5 shows. Multiple season passes to multiple channels will each have a 5 show limit allowing more than 5 shows to be recorded before deleting.

I am not sure where suggestions fall into this mix.

6. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    If you have season pass for a show, set to "keep only 5" AND you manually record an episode of the show that the SP didn't, that doesn't count against the "Keep only 5", same thing is true if you record the show on a different Tivo and transfer it to the one with an SP.