1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Series 3 Power Supply ATX Connector

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by xnamkcor, Jun 23, 2012.

1. xnamkcor

xnamkcor New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I have a 20-pin power connector, but the instructions in another thread say I need 8 black wires. I only have 7 on my 20-pin connector.

Is it ok to split or combine black wires?

2. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    What are you attempting to accomplish?

3. xnamkcor

xnamkcor New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    This

4. xnamkcor

xnamkcor New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Yes, I do see that thread. The only mention of the words "black", "common", or "ground" are in the post I quoted.

5. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    As long as the black wire coming out of your atx power supply is a ground wire, you should be able to use it. I'd just split off one of them. The tivo is such a low power device, one wire alone could carry the whole system.

Rewiring an ATX PSU is the hard way to do this. If you have a problem with your original power supply, it is probably the capacitors. If you replace them, you will likely have had your last problem with that power supply.

6. xnamkcor

xnamkcor New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Problem is I don't know how to solder. But I do know how to repin an ATX connector.

7. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    I dont want to sound dickey but if this is a lifetime tivo i would not try to jig the power supply. I'm not against tinkering but it doesn't sound like you are skilled enough with electronics. It's easy to kill electronics.

8. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    There's a guy on ddb that recaps series 3 power supplies for $50.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I intend no insult, but if you have to ask that question, you're trying to do something you don't know enough to be safely doing.

Again, the best thing is to tell us exactly what you're trying to do, and with which model TiVo.

If you're trying to replace the TiVo power supply with one from a computer so that you can run more than one SATA drive internally, better to just upgrade to a single 2TB drive.

If you're trying to replace your TiVo's power supply because it isn't working, then it probably just needs no more than $10 worth of replacement capacitors.

We can teach you how to unsolder the old ones and solder in the new ones.

Do you have any money at all to spend on whatever this project is, or is that a big part of the problem?

(been there, done that, couldn't afford the T-shirt or I wouldn't have been there doing that).

10. xnamkcor

xnamkcor New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I've already done it and I'm unharmed.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That doesn't tell us why you were trying to do it in the first place.

12. MrRat

MrRat New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I used this as a guide to get my tivo running again. It's definitely not a mainstream solution but internally the tivo uses these standard, low, dc voltages. When using a sealed pc power supply this is not dangerous and will likely be more reliable than soldering on the ps board( at least for me).