1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Series 2 with Comcast cable box - Can't use TIVO auto-record

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BruceEB, Sep 24, 2011.

1. BruceEB

BruceEB New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    I have non HD Comcast service, and Series 2 TIVO. If I select a tivo channel, it says not available. I have to select channel from Comcast Scientific Atlanta box.

To record from Tivo I need to put Tivo to channel 3, then select the Comcast station, then manually set Tivo record data. For very late shows I just leave Comcast box on, shutting off TV and Tuner.

Of course with this method I can only record one channel at a time.

Is this standard practice? or can I set up differently?
    Thanks. BB

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Is this a dual tuner TiVo?

Are there any analog cable channels left or are they all digital?

What kind of Comcast box is it? Does it have a/v(white, red, yellow) output or is it only coax?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It sounds like you do not have the IR blaster cable hooked up between the TiVo and the cable box. Its what's used to change the channels on the box. You may also need to connect the composite(yellow) with audio (white/left, red/right), re-run guided setup to setup for control of the box by tivo and composite input.

4. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Agreed, the Tivo should be able to change the Comcast Scientific Atlanta box channels.

5. BruceEB

BruceEB New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    The Series 2 TIVO has dual recorders.
    The Comcast channels are not HD. At least I do not have an HD TV.

From the cable box, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200:
    Coax in from Comcast
    Coax to TIVO
    Yellow, red & white to tuner/receiver.

That's all.
    BB

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Like Thabto said, you need the IR blasters. They are what tells the cable box to change to the channel the Tivo needs it on.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is only 1 model of TiVo Series 2 that is dual tuner, its Tivo service number starts with 649.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need to repeat guided setup, and tell it you have cable with box. And yes, you need the IR blaster cable as well.

9. Hawkeye22

Hawkeye22 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    If your channels are indeed analog, you can put a splitter on your cable. Send one output to the cable box and the other output directly into your tivo. This will eliminate the need for an IR blaster. If however they are digital channels (doesn't matter if your tv is HD or not), then you will need the IR blaster as others suggested.

10. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Incorrect. If you're using a cable box, you MUST have the IR cable.

11. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    If you are using a cable box you DO need the IR blasters

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Yes, the IR blaster is how the Tivo controls the cable box. Unless your cable provider left the serial port active which mines did for 3 years then turned them all off...

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Using a cable box and being forced to use a cable box aren't always the same.

14. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    ???

15. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    You're arguing semantics.

If
    cable box = yes
    Then
    IR cable = required
    Else
    You = hosed

16. Hawkeye22

Hawkeye22 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Why? My tivoHD gets over 70 analog channels using a splitter and no cablecards (tired of hassling with them). I have time warner northeast ohio, although I'm in PA. All I can figure is TWC must be sending out both digital and analog signals.

17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Sorry, but your Tivo HD isn't at all relevant in any way what-so-ever to the issue of a series 2 requiring an IR emitter when using a cable box (not a DTA).

But to answer the question: Why? because channel changing doesn't happen magically, the Tivo needs to be able to change the channel on the cable box.

18. Hawkeye22

Hawkeye22 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Thanks for your reply. I know about IR blasters. I used one on my Phillips series 1 back in '99. I just figured if there are analog channels coming down the cable, why wouldn't an analog tuner be able to receive them?

@OP, sorry if I lead you astray.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, now that I have multi-quote figured out (sorta), let's try this again.

If you're using a splitter and one of its outputs goes to the cable box and another one of its outputs goes into the RF input on an S2, as in the situation Hawkeye22 describes, you don't need the IR cable because the cable box isn't feeding into the TiVo, it's feeding one of the television's inputs.

"Incorrect. If you're using a cable box..." to feed the TiVo "... you MUST have the IR cable."

Failure to be precise in technical discussions leads to confusion on the part of other listeners/viewers/readers.