1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Search using SDUI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by berkshires, Jul 27, 2012.

1. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Is it possible to use TiVo Search (as on the TiVoHD) using the SDUI instead of Swivel Search?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you mean while using the HDUI, about the only thing you can do is a wishlist search. That is still SDUI.

3. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I mean using the SDUI. The TiVoHD has TiVo Search which is far superior to Swivel and I don't see any evidence it is available under the Premiere SDUI.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    When I select "TiVo Search" on my THD, guess where it takes me? Swivel Search. As far as I can tell, the search options for the Premiere SDUI are the same as those of the THD except for some of the menu item names.

5. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    There is a replacement for Swivel called TiVo Search on the Series 3 platform. You choose to switch from one to the other by going into the initial search screen with the on-screen keyboard and scrolling to bottom right option (use TiVo Search in HD/Use Swivel Search instead - as the case may be.) TiVo Search is far superior.

For my Premiere, i don't have an option on the Swivel screen to use TiVo Search nor see it anywhere else.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Did a little more checking and I can't help you further since I refuse to "Opt in", which is required to use TiVo Search. I obviously can't judge the relative quality, but you really should have prefaced your statement with "IM(NS)HO"

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No TiVo Search does not work in the SDUI of a Premiere. I think they did this to give some advantage to the HDUI so that people would be compelled to give it a chance.

That being said did you notice that on the Premiere the normal search feature works sort of like TiVo Search. It doesn't just search for exact matches to program names. It searches the entire program name for what you're typing as well as actor names. The only catch is that it still only searches for things that are in the current guide data. So unlike TiVo Search you can't find future airings and things like that. But it does help mitigate the loss of TiVo Search a little.

Dan

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sorry, you're wrong about the HDUI search. One of the complaints is that it doesn't search the current guide data. It always searches the net or at least the TiVo servers. If the network is down or unavailable, you cannot do a search at all if you are using the HDUI.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm referring to the search in the SDUI. The standard search in SDUI use to just search for program names starting with whatever you were typing. A few versions back they changed it to do a more general search for partial matches and actor names. However this search only uses the local data, not the network data, so it can only find things in your current guide.

I didn't realize the HDUI search was network only. I guess that's one advantage to the SDUI search in comparison.

Dan

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The only Premiere SDUI search that works as you described is the Swivel Search. There are only three search options under "Find Shows":

Search by Title
    Swivel Search
    Wishlist Search

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No the standard SDUI program search does that as well. Try it out. It's a recent addition so if you don't use it often you may not have noticed.

I believe swivel search uses the network just like TiVo Search does. It's just older and missing some features that TiVo Search has.

Dan

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I did try it prior to my previous post. Switched to the SDUI.

TiVo Central->Find Shows has the search options I posted:

Search by Title
    Swivel Search
    Wishlist Search

This was on two different Premieres, both running 20.2.1.2

I can think of one explanation that makes sense (and 4 that really don't):

You have to opt in to enable this option, just as you have to in order for "TiVo Search" to work on a TiVo 3.

13. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I'll have to look for the standard search...I guess you mean Search by Title under Find programs...?

You are right about Swivel using internet. Its HME or something like that.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'm going to confess ignorance here. Are y'all talking about searching for a program title? IOW, a TiVo-4?