1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo & Roku sitting in a tree

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by trip1eX, Jul 19, 2014.

1. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Or they partner up. This would seem to make total sense on the surface if either of these things happened right?

Tivo gets better 3rd party services and Roku get another great feature - dvr capabilities and an increased install base.

Seems like a win/win sort of thing.

2. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Doubtful, Tivo's business plan has shifted to providing their TiVo software for the cable companies, I doubt no serious retail streaming content support will be produced unless it benifits their new masters.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Why would Roku want Tivo? These are two totally different business models.

4. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    $$$$ from a higher install base. There are a million customer owned Tivo subscriptions and 3.5 MSO subscriptions. Roku could be on a good chunk of these devices.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Neither company can afford to buy the other. They could merge but that's unlikely.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Roku is a very popular successful company. Tivo is not.

7. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Roku has never made a profit as far as I know (the original target was to break-even by the beginning of this year, but the amount of capital they've been getting suggests they didn't make it.)

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I love both, and I use both, but they are two entirely different devices that are kind of at odds with each other, even though they do have a small amount of feature overlap with a couple of streaming video services...

9. jwbelcher

jwbelcher Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Match made in heaven ;)

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Neither company is profitable individually so I can't imagine they would do much worse if they merged or if one licensed the other's technology for a high-end box. I don't know what would be required from a technical standpoint, what CPU improvements would be needed but I suspect it would be possible to have a TiVo running Roku.

I have doubts that a TiVo could even be licensed to run all of the Roku channels, there is probably a reason TiVo doesn't offer Vudu, Amazon Prime Instant Video and other services we have never seen on TiVo. DRM requirements differ and each company's business priorities and allegiances differ, we may never see a TiVo running those services. Roku doesn't offer some Comcast VOD services, I didn't know it wouldn't run HBO GO until I tried to set it up. All of these types of issues could be resolved and contracts negotiated but not unless both sides want that.

Bottom line, I would say don't hold your breath waiting for a TiVo running Roku. As far as one company being great and the other not, TiVo is the Cadillac of DVRs, Roku is a popular, simple, easy to use streaming box. I own both and rarely ever use Roku although I never use TiVo for any streaming services. I have boxes for streaming services I prefer to Roku but I have never seen a DVR I think is as good as TiVo.

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That's exactly it. TiVo is a great DVR, Roku is a great streaming box. TWo great products, two different things, two different markets, each has it's place.

12. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    My Roku 3's all run HBO GO. You have to subscribe to HBO on some service to have it work, though. I get it through TW cable. Hard to imagine Comcast somehow blocks access, as the service is provided by HBO themselves, but I suppose it's possible. Or maybe HBO blocks Comcast subscribers.

And as an aside, if one subscribes to Time Warner, they offer ALL the channels you subscribe to streaming on the Roku as well, and the HBO channels on Roku are ALL HD, whereas the crappy TW service in Los Angeles only offers two HD channels, and they're the SAME two HD channels, just east coast and wet coast feeds. I've sprinkled refurbished Roku 3's and Samsung 22" HD sets in the kitchen, shop, sewing room, and I get the full TW package without running a wire or any extra fees. Total cost per setup using refurb devices is about $150. Very cool.

13. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Roku was started by the guy who started ReplayTV, was it not?

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    This is a well known issue. Comcast blocks HBO Go on Roku. It works fine on the web and through Apple devices.

15. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't think it is correct to say Comcast blocks HBO GO with Roku, you just can't sign up. Go to the activate HBO GO activate site and select Roku, you can't select Comcast.

http://www.hbogo.com/activate/

If the Comcast merger with TWC goes through, I would think that will change since TWC customers can use Roku for HBO GO. Surely there will be no difference between the two companies in that regard and surely TWC won't end Roku support.

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Comcast is blocking activation of HBO Go on Roku, as mentioned this is a well-known issue. I can watch it just fine on my Android phone, frex.

Really a non-issue for me as HBO works fine with XOD on Tivo.

17. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Works on a 360 with Comcast, but from what I skimmed it doesn't work on select devices.

18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Correct.

19. eduboys

eduboys New Member

Sep 11, 2013
    They used to say that about cameras and phones.

20. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, the word means 6 in Japanese in respect of his 6 businesses.

By 10, Anthony Wood was already in the real estate business building and selling tree houses to his friends.

During college at Texas A&M he founded a company with 14 employees that was developing products for the Amiga.

His third company was developing audio post production software for computers

Fourth,an Internet software company called iBand, which was later sold to Macromedia for $35 million.

Fifth was ReplayTV he invented the first digital video recorder (DVR), launched at the 1999 International CES. The company was later bought by DirecTV.

In 2002, he started Roku, which means six in Japanese, a nod to his six companies. As head of Roku, he is now working toward replacing the DVD.