1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Roamio vs Tivo Premiere XL picture quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ron m, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ron m

ron m New Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Thinking about buying a Tivo. My decision has become harder since Tivo released the new Roamio line. I was set to buy the Premiere XL 4 since it has THX certified video and I noticed none of the new Roamio line have THX certified video. I have seen the picture quality on the Premiere XL 4 and it is excellent, better than my current Directv or Cable DVR. Not sure which Tivo to buy?

2. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    The THX on the Tivo did not improve image quality over the other models IMO, I had a S3 THX model FYI.

That being said, my Roamio Basic looks excellent outputting 1080p from Amazon VOD and I feel the OTA output looks better than that of my Dish Hopper OTA signal.

Im on a 65" from about 11 feet away.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    THX was nothing more then a label. The only good thing about it was it included a calibration video and a pair of blue filter glasses which made it easy to calibrate the TV. But other then that the XL4 was identical to the regular 4 so THX didn't mean anything.

4. ron m

ron m New Member

Sep 4, 2013

Thanks for the response.