1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Roamio Remote - Why is TV Power shutting down my Tivo!?!?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rrullo, Nov 23, 2013.

1. rrullo

rrullo New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    It is has been many years since I have had a Tivo. Tonight I hooked up a Roamio Pro.

When I press the "TV Pwr" button the Tivo is shutting down. In the past that button would only control my TV. Is there any way to prevent the remote from shutting down the Tivo. It really doesn't make sense to me since you want your Tivo to run so it can record and stream.

Thanks!
    -Bob

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    in what way is it "shutting down"?

Tivo's dont have an "off" mode, only standby which does not stop recording.

Some people have had HDMI issues, something along the lines of Tivo's rebooting repeatedly when the tv is shut off. There were some fixes in one of the recent updates that was supposed to combat that problem.

Some folks mentioned inserting either an HDMI splitter or switch (you'd have to search for the threads, I cant recall offhand), between the tivo and tv and then the problem stopped.

3. rrullo

rrullo New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Well this is embarrassing. Turns out that I plugged in the Tivo into an outlet that shuts off with the TV.

I knew it didn't sound right!

4. Textgenie

Textgenie Only connect

Jan 3, 2011
    NYC
    Well, that was pretty obvious! :)

5. jrock

jrock New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    Your TV has an outlet that shuts off when it goes off?

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
  7. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Everyone should use green power strips. I've got them all over my house. But, yeah, you've got make sure you plug certain things in to always hot connections.

8. jrock

jrock New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmm never heard of them before. Look interesting. I can't think of anything I would want to be powerless though. I use all DVR's in my house. I have everything on Belkin tower UPS's.

9. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I had forgotten about these! They went through a phase a long long time ago, when computer peripherals such as CRT monitors, printers, etc could be real power suckers, and you often had lots of peripherals with their own power supplies such as modems, external floppy drives and scanners and such that they made some power strips with a master outlet that when it sensed the power was turned on on the "main" device, the others would power up. They were generally very unreliable, both in functioning correctly in toggling power as well as lifespan for the premium price. Old school analog circuits in them, I'm sure.

It's cool they've made a comeback :)

10. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    They work out very well for me. I have ambient lighting and the power strip shuts off the lighting when I turn off the TV. My TIVO is plugged into the always on receptacle.

11. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I'm all in favor of greater energy efficiency, but unless you're using a bunch of legacy gear, it seems like they aren't really needed these days. Just as the word got out about "vampire power", pretty much all the new stuff went to <1W standby/off power.